Sony a6000 for my wife.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
As the title says, I'm looking at a Sony a6000 as a birthday gift for my wife. She enjoys photography but isn't overly interested in getting way technical. With our Pentax K5ii she just puts it in auto mode. My question is, is the Sony user friendly for someone like her who isn't looking to delve deeper than auto mode, or should I look at something else?

dotman

WKR
I would say no, gonna have to learn it and get multiple lenses. An easy camera is the Olympus TG series camera with the custom settings.

OP
C

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a TG4 that doesn't see much use. I guess I should have specified that I'm looking for a mirrorless camera, and the multiple lenses is not an issue. How does the Sony compare to other mirrorless options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I like it and it has a good selection of inexpensive lenses. I can't compare to others but I've found it easy to use and there are some cool apps for time lapse, star trails etc you can buy.

OP
C

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Dotman!

dotman

WKR
I highly recommend the Samyang 12mm f2 prime lens for landscape and night shots. Tons of info on this lens/camera setup if you google it.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I have an A6300 and I'm probably about the same from a use standpoint... leave it on auto most of the time for photos. The menu system is both wide and deep, and somewhat confusing at times. There are lots of good Youtube videos. The A6300 takes great photos without using the flash--I'd never consider leaving the flash off with other cameras I've owned.

I have the 16-50 kit lens and I added the 24-240 lens. I'll likely add a fast prime at some point in the future. I figure that if I buy full frame lenses, I can upgrade to an A7SII or A7RII in the future.

-David

OP
C

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the help. I bit the bullet and ordered one. It got here yesterday. She was able to play with it and I did for about 5 minutes today. This is just a quick observation, but I think it does better in auto than my K5ii. That's good because that is what she needed.