First backpacking hunt/camera

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I will be leaving for Alaska next month on a backcountry black bear hunt. My friend is bringing a GoPro, and I'm wanting to find a good camera that takes video (4k is awesome, but is the price worth the upgrade over 1080?).

Looking for any and all suggestions! I've read a bunch already and still can't make up my mind. I'm a complete newb with cameras.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I will be leaving for Alaska next month on a backcountry black bear hunt. My friend is bringing a GoPro, and I'm wanting to find a good camera that takes video (4k is awesome, but is the price worth the upgrade over 1080?).

Looking for any and all suggestions! I've read a bunch already and still can't make up my mind. I'm a complete newb with cameras.

Whats your budget? what are you looking to get out of it. ILC or fixed?

OP
Scott/IL

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to keep the budget sub 500 (if that's even possible). As far as lenses go....well I'm green enough to not really know right now.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about cameras but enjoy the trip and good luck with the hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWW

WKR
Pick one from the Sony Alpha line, hard to go wrong and offer some very packable mirrorless offerings like the A6000 I use.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you also want it to be a still camera? If so a DSLR/mirrorless type camera like a Sony A6000 or Canon T series would be a good starter choice. If your only wanting video and a simple run and gun setup I'd look to the Sony handycams.. they have good built in stabilization, zoom and pretty good auto modes.

In regards to 4K, I don't think you would like it much for your purposes. 1. The files are huge, and most stock PC computers won't play it back smoothly. 2. To see quality benefits you have to shoot in 4K, edit in it, export in it, then watch on a 4K TV or monitor. My camera shoots 4K and I only use it for interviews where I want to have another closer angle with the same camera. So IMO it's not worth it yet with what your doing.

Do you also want it to be a still camera? If so a DSLR/mirrorless type camera like a Sony A6000 or Canon T series would be a good starter choice. If your only wanting video and a simple run and gun setup I'd look to the Sony handycams.. they have good built in stabilization, zoom and pretty good auto modes.

In regards to 4K, I don't think you would like it much for your purposes. 1. The files are huge, and most stock PC computers won't play it back smoothly. 2. To see quality benefits you have to shoot in 4K, edit in it, export in it, then watch on a 4K TV or monitor. My camera shoots 4K and I only use it for interviews where I want to have another closer angle with the same camera. So IMO it's not worth it yet with what your doing.

About as good an answer as you can get.

Answered a few questions of my own without even having to ask. Thanks, Jordan!

OP
Scott/IL

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider

Fantastic advice. The camera will be used primarily as a still camera, but video at times. By not focusing on 4k video, that starts saving some serious $$$.

Once I start jumping into the Sony a6000 tier of cameras, do I need to look at other lenses as well, or can I slide by with what is provided?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fantastic advice. The camera will be used primarily as a still camera, but video at times. By not focusing on 4k video, that starts saving some serious $$$.

Once I start jumping into the Sony a6000 tier of cameras, do I need to look at other lenses as well, or can I slide by with what is provided?

The 16-50 that comes with it is a descent range but definitely not for rifle shots, and even iffy for bow shots if your out there say 40 and beyond. Not 100% sure what 50 looks like compared to an animal. The 55-210 lens would be a good pair with the kit lens and runs about 350$. Even at 200mm your not going to get great zoom for rifle shots. For archery though you would be golden. For rifle shots I would recommend filming through a spotting scope. The 18-200mm lens also looks good but runs about 750$. That would be a good "do it all" lens.

Sorry it's not a more straight forward answer. Can be pretty complex depending on what your doing.

JWW

WKR
You can get the kit with a 16-50 and 55-210. Not the greatest in the world but can get you by until you figure out what suits you.

Jimss

WKR
You might take a look at Canon SX60. It has a giant 65X zoom lens plus 1080 video at 60 fps in MP4. It's always nice having a zoom that will reach out and touch something! It runs around $400. After looking at all the favorable reviews I am seriously considering getting one. I have a tiny Panasonic HDC-TM60 camcorder I picked up almost new on Craigslist for $50 that takes excellent HD video with a 35X zoom that I take to Alaska and elsewhere. It is nice because it is so small and still takes nice video. I just looked and there are several on Ebay for around $100. Make sure it has a 35x because other similar ones have less power.

Last edited: