Video Cameras

bobhunts

WKR
What are you using filming your hunts with? Not just what, but why? I'm looking to upgrading into 1080p as 4k is still a bit pricey. I want enough zoom to be usable on an archery hunt to see what is coming in before getting into range of action cams. Battery life is huge and wondering about adding a mic for better sound. Full of questions and open ears. There are terms when reading about these said cameras so I guess I need some help there too. I went to Best Buy and felt like the sales person was as educated as me..'not at all'

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd check out the Sony handycams.. for what your wanting to do they'd be compact with great video. Also the smaller canon cameras would be ok too... I tend to stick with those two company's. I wouldn't worry a lot about getting into 4K... takes a ton of card space and to even playback takes a really good computer. Put a little shotgun mic on top and your set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

revcwood

FNG
We ran a Canon HF R600 on our antelope hunt last year. I wanted to try something without putting out much money, that would mostly be used for family stuff, but that I could also take in the field with decent results. It was cheap (bought it re manufactured from Canon). The color and video quality was okay. It runs 1080p at 60fps. It is small and light, and will take an external mic with a 3.5mm jack. No internal memory, will take up to a 32gb card. Not a "pro" rig in the least, but it got us started. The HF R700 is the current equivalent from canon. Now my buddy and I have dived into the DSLR world and are learning the ropes.

I love the Canon Hf series of small camcorders. High power optical zoom and really good image stabilization. They are about the size of 3 or 4 Iphones stacked together, so they fit in a cargo pocket of your pants easily, and you always have it on you. I have been able to film things that a bigger camera in a pack simply wouldn't have been out in time for.

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
just bought today what I think will work. Panasonic DMC-FZ-1000. It will record what I want in format up to 4k ..and I do see differences as to record in 1080p vs 4K. 1080p is better for what I want.I also bought a mic.. Azden SMX-10 and the mouse fur to put over it. I think I will be good doing what I do. If you have used one of these and have some advice feel free to share.