Sony A6000-Which lens for Sheep Hunt? Landscape & Digiscoping (all-around)

GPATTI

WKR
Guys,
Going on m first sheep hunt. It will be dall sheep in NWT. I really want to get great pics. I would like to capture the landscape and also digiscope. I have a Sony A6000 with the standard lense bundle. I was going to take the 16-50mm. I see comments about the Sigma 30mm for digiscoping and the Sigma 19mm for wide angle use (which would be great for the landscape shots). BUT....can I get away with taking just one lens to accomplish all? I have the Novagrade Olympus which works well with the current Sony 16-50mm. Thanks!

dotman

WKR
Get the sigma 30mm for digiscoping, a step down ring will be needed but you'll get better quality pictures. It also would be a good all around lens but I would also add a Samyang 12mm for landscape. B&H bought my kit lens for $85 which could reduce the cost of two lenses but with these two I feel most scenarios will be covered. But this is from a beginners view point. Both the sigma 30 and Samyang 12 are small and light weight.

The Samyang is full manual but pretty simple to use, Sigmas do have autofocus. I plan to use the 12mm mostly plus it's a great Astro lens for any night shots.

For digiscoping the 30mm is as small as you would want to go. I think you could get away with just the Sigma 30mm but for this hunt I would take both if possible or forget about digiscoping and take just the 12mm or 19mm sigma.

Last edited:

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have an A6000 and I just purchased a sony 28mm 2.0 prime lens. So far it has been great. I used it on vacation and it was perfect as a do it all lens. It is a full frame lens, but it will work on the A6000. I bought it over the 35mm because I plan to upgrade to an A7 later on. I also use a sony 50mm 1.8 prime, but it can get a little tight using it as a do it all lens. Both are great, but I prefer the 28mm. Not sure about using it to digi scope though