Need Help: Digiscoping with Sony RX100 iii and Vortex Razor 85mm

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
I had made a digiscoping adapter using a PVC fitting and double sided foam tape. I got great results, but there were two problems with the setup. 1) The adapter fit over the barrel of the lens rather than the fixed part where the focus ring is. I think this was hard on the lens when sliding it into the adapter and eventually the lens motor was damaged and I had to send it in for repair. That was not cheap. 2) The paper on the double sided sticky foam would eventually start to peel off from sliding the adapter onto the camera and spotting scope. It got really annoying having to replace the sticky foam all the time.

Can anyone show me setups they have made for digiscoping with the RX100? I would be open to buying some kind of adapter if the price was right. I also considered having something made by a machinist but haven't quite figured out the design and am worried this might be an expensive route.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I made one that fit over the fixed focus ring and works great. I'm headed to Kalispell next Friday and if you're in that area I'll bring it and give it to you since I no longer own either the RX100 or the Razor 85mm.

Doug

jlsteel

FNG
I have an rx100 and swaro ats. I tried the pvc method and wasnt that happy with it. I now use a a cut out of 2L pop bottle that is just a cylinder that matches the circumference of the eyepiece and is about the size of the rx100's focus ring. Seems to work good so far.