One lense for a backcountry hunt...

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at buying a Sony A6000 to replace my iPhone and point and shoot on hunting trips. I'm looking for advice on what lense I should get for it for all around backcountry hunting photos, landscape photos and trophy photos. Should I buy the kit lenses with the camera or opt for the body only and purchase better lenses separately? If you could only take one lense on a backcountry archery elk hunt in Colorado what would it be? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I would ditch the kit lens and go with a prime 35mm. I switched from zooms to primes and love it, definitely makes you think more about the composition.

So i use the a6000 with the standard kit lens while chukar and grouse hunting by myself. That means its a lot of flick the camera on, hold it and take pics with one hand and hold the shotgun with the other while moving in on point being ready to drop the camera and shoot at a bird. For this purpose I think the standard Kit lens with AF works great, plus if it gets broken im not out a lot of coin. So far that kit lens has taken a lot of hits, dips, and dust baths and is still clicking along.
If i did more still shots where I had time to play with the settings i might go a different route, but in IMHO those kit lenses aren't as bad as many people make them out to be, especially if you play to their strengths.

dotman

WKR
For general pictures I would get the Signa 30mm, if you mainly want landscape or close shot with lots of blur in the background and ability to take night shots of the stars etc get the Samsung 12mm. The Samyang is full manual while the Signa is auto, both are great lenses that will produce much better quality photos over the kit lens. The Sigma is the best Bang for your $$$.

I really like the prime lenses over the zoom.

Ruskin

WKR
I have the same camera. I bought it with the 2 kit lenses. My advice is buy the body. You can guy the additional lenses as you go. I have used my kit's and they work well. but a year down the road, i'm ready to upgrade.

OP
J

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely leaning toward buying the body only, and picking up at least a prime lense. It would be nice to have a zoom lense, but I don't think I want to pack the extra weight, or have the extra bulk attached to the camera all the time. I want a lense I can leave attached to the camera all the time and have it be the one that will work for most of what I run into. Last year I just took my iPhone and only took about 5 pictures on a 10 day trip. Really regret not getting more pictures now because it was a great trip. This year I'm definitely going to be snapping lots of pictures. I need something I can keep handy and can quickly grab and shoot.

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have an A6000 and I just purchased a sony 28mm prime lens. So far it has been great. I used it on vacation and it was perfect as a do it all lens. It is a full frame lens, but it will work on the A6000. I bought it over the 35mm because I plan to upgrade to an A7 later on. I also use a sony 50mm prime, but it can get a little tight using it as a do it all lens.

I have an Olympus OMD EM1 MkII. It replaced an Olympus EPL-2.

When I bought the EPL-2, I only had one lens for a very long time - 14-150mm at f4.0-5.6. Not a super high quality lens by any means, but definitely small enough to justify carrying around as a 'one lens' option. The wide-angle to telephoto is versatile.

I haven't used it for a while as my dad gave me a 50-200mm for a 4/3 Olympus, so I bought an adapter for it for my micro 4/3 camera. It's a fantastic lens with a lot more legs and is much faster, but it's far too big to carry around on a backcountry hunt.

If you aren't as concerned with overall versatility and having the zoom, something in the 17-40mm range would be ideal. I personally like having something in the telephoto realm as it gives the option of great trophy shots if you stand back and take the photo with a wide aperture. It's all about how you want to use it I reckon.