Phone Skope Project (be like Tiffany)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sure enough, I installed that rubber eyepiece back on the Swaro' and it almost eliminated that vignette ring. What is left is a clean circle with no softness around the edges and with a slight adjust to phone zoom, it's gone. Here's a quick video on the system including the Bluetooth shutter button.

[video=youtube_share;OxEDsSZle2g]https://youtu.be/OxEDsSZle2g[/video]

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Nice buck from this morning
attachment.php

This was at max power on Swaro' ATS (50x) and full zoom on iPhone 6. Distance just under a mile.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

attachment.php

Another buck. Gonna name this one "Snag" cause if he gets that 5" hook caught on sagebrush, he'll break his neck

The poor quality was me, not the PS/Swaro. I was sneaking through some country and was not ready when they appeared on the skyline. Everything was in my pack so I lost critical time getting set up and just got a few pics. I made a big circle and got in front of them. About 45 minutes later, here they came, but Snag was gone. Probably bedded or ducked into some cover while the younger bucks fed into the morning. This is about 100 yards and they came even closer but it was too hard to keep them in the view even at the lowest power.
attachment.php

Wish I could get a close up of Snag like that. BTW, I think I saw him last year. It's hard to compare this 2016 photo with the top one in this post, but it might be him. Both had long eye guards and similar shaped back forks. Hard to tell. Maybe I'll get a better look at him this year. Either way, he's a hit list buck.

attachment.php

colersu22

WKR
Is there a benefit to using a downloaded app for taking pictures vs the factory phone app?

Alright here are some more. I have found a huge benefit to using the downloaded photo app as I am able to go back and forth between cameras on the iPhone 7plus. The ability to change the appature, clarity, etc makes editing photos a breeze. With the 7plus you can use either camera but with the app I am able to go back and forth allowing me to get the crispier image than the normal camera. The pictures are turning out amazing. I was able to test this weekend in 20 Mph wind and 30 mph gusts. This is where the remote shines. I was able to really steady my tripod and press the Bluetooth remote to take pictures. These goats are about 300 yards away.
256659973f413c54ce0356eccd3db13f.jpg

You can see in this picture I was able to focus on the foreground and not the goats. This was done with the purchased app.
3aea5279ae127517fc9cf617701a4082.jpg

You can see the pictures aren't as clear as you would think but the wind was pretty rough. I did not have a sandbag on my tripod like I should have but to be fair I usually don't think about it during hunting situations.
Here is a freak that I saw this weekend. About 400 yards out, 10-15 mph wind gusts.
abf4fa3bd8dc219ca2f487e69cc979c9.jpg

Some vignetting in the image above and fixed in the one below.
c6e854375b0994cc0b7d6e9b7a55200d.jpg

And just some more pictures.
3b43b26f81322dede92c10972c710467.jpg

1e81d7a129f8fe3cb0a5751f30bec159.jpg
00f975bd79066cf2c1e37925f1aed806.jpg

The next image was edited using the app.
9d2a7022591c61f3dcd3881b391b54b8.jpg

In conclusion for this part of the test, I believe that the phoneskope is a worthy piece of gear to pack with you. Mine is always in my truck so I can snap some pictures. If you have a 7plus I highly recommend buying the pro camera app. It seems like it wouldn't be worth it but I tried to do this without it and became frustrated with not being able to get pictures right. You can do it without the app but it does take practice and you may not get to utilize both cameras. If you don't have a 7plus I think you will be fine with you camera app.
The Bluetooth shutter button is amazing and well worth the money and weight. I would highly recommend that you purchase it. The button allows you to let the whole system go and let everything equalize. One benefit I found is my dad was looking at the freak antelope pictured above and said he was in the frame. I was standing next to him and just clicked the button to snap a few images.
I like how the spotting scope ring stays on the scope and than the adapter to connect to the spotter slides onto the case. The case connects with easy and no fuss.
My cons are that I struggled to get the camera when I first got it due to the two cameras. It was frustrating but than I bought the app. Not really a con with the system. The Bluetooth shutter button is temperamental, like all Bluetooth stuff, sometimes loses connection. The phoneskope case isn't very protective. I do not think this was designed to be protective but if your spotter/tripod blows over you won't have much phone protection.
Overall it's a great system and I really have enjoyed it. I look forward to many more pictures I will take. I have been unsuccessful finding deer and elk in my area so I have changed up and am going to a different area. Hopefully I can get some good pictures.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear back on all that Wyo. glad you tried an app. Which one is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk