Pentax Ks2 vs. Sony a6000

mntnguide

WKR
Any thoughts out there on these two? I have heard quite a bit about the Sony but not as much about the Pentax Ks2. I really like the full weatherproof of the Ks2 along with image stabilization inside the camera and not the lense. I know the Ks2 is larger in weight and size when it comes to packing it around, but im not to worried about that. I will be using the camera for wildlife photography along with digiscoping on a Kowa 773 series most likely. Also doing some long exposure type shots and night photography. I would like to use it occasionally for video as well, and from my research i think the Sony would be better in that regard, so just curious mainly if anyone has a Ks2 and has used it extensively to comment. Appreciate any ideas. If there is a better camera in the range of these 2 that im missing, im open to other ideas!

colonel00

WKR
I'm an unapologetic Pentax fanboy but that is s tough call really. I haven't used the KS2 personally though others here have like SHTF. From what I understand, it's a solid mid-level body with some cool features that would do well. For me, I like a DSLR because I like looking through the viewfinder for just about everything aside from tripod mounted landscape and astrophotography. With the KS2, you can get the Astrotracer module that will allow you to take some silly long star shots (up to 5 minutes) which is really cool.

Going mirrorless definitely has advantages as well due to the smaller size and other positives. You will pay more for lenses due to the stabilization in the lens as you mentioned.

dotman

WKR
I'm an unapologetic Pentax fanboy but that is s tough call really. I haven't used the KS2 personally though others here have like SHTF. From what I understand, it's a solid mid-level body with some cool features that would do well. For me, I like a DSLR because I like looking through the viewfinder for just about everything aside from tripod mounted landscape and astrophotography. With the KS2, you can get the Astrotracer module that will allow you to take some silly long star shots (up to 5 minutes) which is really cool.

Going mirrorless definitely has advantages as well due to the smaller size and other positives. You will pay more for lenses due to the stabilization in the lens as you mentioned.

Is there not a viewfinder on the KS2? The A6000 has one.

colonel00

WKR
Ah, the A6000 has an EVF (Electronic View Finder)? I didn't realize it did till you posted and I looked. I was thinking of other mirrorless cameras where you only have the back screen.