Homemade Digiscope Adapter? (Rx100)

I am between hunts, and would like to fashion up a digiscope adapter for me camera. I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas or directions that would work with my camera/spotter setup.

I have a Sony rx100 3, and a Swaro STM 80.

All ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Josh

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm made one from a pvc pipe end cap that was closest in size to my spotting scope end cap. I cut open the other end with a bandsaw, then epoxied a filter ring adapter or step down ring onto the top of it so it would just screw into the filter ring threads on my a6000 lens. It got the job done, but never fit right on the spotting scope. I was just using some gorilla tape inside the pvc to snug up the fit over my eyepiece. I have since upgraded my lens and haven't really been using it.

I'm not sure if that particular camera has a threaded ring or not.

OP
adventure907
WoodBow, that is pretty awesome!!! Way above my pay grade, and unfortunately I won't be filming with a phone, but I appreciate the link. Good stuff!!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Photobucket jacked my old thread all up but what I used was a pop bottle cut down and taped back together. It's the same size eyepiece from my ATS 65 as the focus ring on the RX100. Your eyepiece might be slightly bigger though being of the M series. I'll take some new pictures of it tonight and post them.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, here's why this works so well for an STS/ATS 65 to the RX100:

ptto3lI.jpg

Using a liter soda bottle, you pick the flavor, cut it down, tape it together (I used electrical tape, seems to keep it's hold even when cold) and make this:

z1KSBtt.jpg

Ugly as sin, but it works really well for the cost. Mine is a little overkill on length but I've never had it even come close to falling off, even in winds.

Just noticed an Anna and Elsa cup in the background, Dad problems....

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Searching for a digiscoping options for my Sony rxii lead me right back here to rokslide. Thanks for posting up this tip seems to work great. I had to sightly taper down from the camera to spotter eye piece.
b382bc3e903028f734cc85deefbf5256.jpg
9812835860cf51414209efccc11e12ce.jpg
Painted it after wife tried to throw it in trash after I left it on table
9fa44d97702038cd4d29ceb3c8151f08.jpg

Last edited:

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Well Photobucket jacked my old thread all up but what I used was a pop bottle cut down and taped back together. It's the same size eyepiece from my ATS 65 as the focus ring on the RX100. Your eyepiece might be slightly bigger though being of the M series. I'll take some new pictures of it tonight and post them.

I built one of these as well based I think on your original post and it worked great. My only question is how do you protect it and keep it from getting smashed in your pack? I haven't used it much because it seems like it wouldn't stand up to just throwing in a pack and facing the normal abuse a hunting or scouting trip offers. Are they tougher than i'm giving them credit for?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I built one of these as well based I think on your original post and it worked great. My only question is how do you protect it and keep it from getting smashed in your pack? I haven't used it much because it seems like it wouldn't stand up to just throwing in a pack and facing the normal abuse a hunting or scouting trip offers. Are they tougher than i'm giving them credit for?

Mine gets fairly hammered but I wedge random stuff from my necessity pouch inside it (Havalon, lighter, spare blades, tenacious tape, leukotape) and it holds up. I've had to redo the electrical tape once but that's it.

Another thought, you could also cram gloves/hat/extra socks inside it.