ND filter

Deepshax

WKR
What are you guys using for ND filters, screw ons or slide ins? It seems most people feel that slide ins perform better but i really dont want to add the bulk associated a slide in system. Even if im not backpacking and just out walking around i still have to lug it all around. Screw ons seem more streamlined and lighter. Ive mostly been using a 16-35 lens and some people are reporting vignetting issues at the wider end with a screw on system. Can i alleviate this with getting a larger filter and a setup ring? Any rec's on particular filters? Looking at both 6 and 10 stop filters.

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6 stop nd filter from breakthrough photography. Very high quality and reasonable priced. I chose the 6 stop over the 10 because it is more versatile. If I need more stops I can stack a 3 stop on top. Plus breakthrough photography is a smaller American made company. Lots of info on their website.

Doghed

WKR
With a lens that wide even the low profile screw-ons will probably be visible on the edges. The same might also be true of the filter holder in a slide-in system. The obvious advantage in the slide-in style is the ability to easily adapt to various objective diameters. I prefer to not stack filters. The reason being you can get artifacts caused by light bouncing between the layers of glass. Also the least amount of obstruction between the sensor and my subject the better.

Cheers,
BH.

OP
D

Deepshax

WKR
Im using the sony system (a7ii). My plan was to get a 10 stop ND and a CPL. I have smooth reflections that will take care of 6 stop and under but really hate having the shutter go off 100+ times for experimenting with shots. Seems like a waste and takes forever. I also have the sony app that works like a grad filter so i dont really think thats one i need for the time being.

Doghed

WKR
If its a cannon or a nikon 16-35 on a full frame you still should not have any problems with either system, as neither will stick out farther then the lens hood designed for those lenses.

While I agree with some of the advice in tips post, the above is incorrect. The lens hood mount (particularly on wide angle lenses) is set back behind the lens barrel threads. In addition, the hood flares slightly outward and has cut-outs that coincide with the corners of he frame which is where obstructions first appear. Its for those reasons the hood doesn't appear in the frame. The filter does not need to protrude beyond the hood to be visible.

Real world example: I had a 24-85 FX lens (with a standard screw-on UV filter) mounted on my DX body. When I mounted the lens to my FX body I could see the filter in the corners of the frame. A switch to a low profile screw-on UV filter solved the problem.

For 16mm, slide-ins are probably the safest option to avoid obstruction.

Doghed

WKR
"That's because it was a screw on and it resided in the FOV of the lens." Ya think?

Sorry. I was simply responding to the incorrect statement that.... "on a full frame you should not have any problems with either system, as neither will stick out farther then the lens hood designed for those lenses." I gave a real world example to illustrate. One system is definitely a problem.

"I used a canon 16-35 on a full frame for years with a Lee filter holder and never had a vignetteing problem." Exactly. A real world example supporting the last sentence in my previous post.

"I don't know of a single lens hood ever that connected where you connect lens filters." Then you haven't been studying photography very long. There have been many.

I can see why you and the native texan butt heads so much. I have been reading your posts for a number of years and have learned much from you. One thing is for sure. You are a last word kind of guy so have at it.

To the OP: My apologies.