Go pro hero 5 black night lapse

So I far from a photography expert but has anyone used the night lapse setting on a go pro to get a good star trail or similar night time lapse? If so are there setting you are manipulating to achieve it?
Thanks

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I far from a photography expert but has anyone used the night lapse setting on a go pro to get a good star trail or similar night time lapse? If so are there setting you are manipulating to achieve it?
Thanks

I've never personally done it. But you need to manipulate the shutter speed somehow. I would suggest 20-30 seconds on a gopro. May be able to give it a youtube search and get a tutorial.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great question, if you find something please post it up. That'd be fun to do with mine as well.

colonel00

WKR
I have a Hero 4 Black. I think it has nightlapse too. I've only played with it a little and I'm currently on a plane so I can't take a look. I'll take a look at the settings I've used later

OP
M
SO you are able to adjust the shutter time with the touch screen on the 5. Can get it up to 30 sec. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but just the standard setting for the nightlapse must not be a very long shutter because even with good moonlight it is basically just a black picture.
I'll try to get out and try it in the next couple weeks and post something up.

colonel00

WKR
I can't remember the specs of the GoPro off hand but I think it's an f2 or f2.8 lens. With that, you'll probably need 15-20 second exposures to get decent stars. Going too long will cause the stars to trail but that shouldn't be an issue if you are making a timelapse.