Canon's Alpha Lenses

Frosty82

WKR
Hey All,

I know there are some amazing photographers on here and I am hoping to get some help/feedback. I am currently contemplating taking the plunge and buying one of Canon's top telephoto lenses. Uffda...I might be crazy. Anyways, I am leaning towards the EF 200-400mm f/4 w/ built in 1.4x extender. I will mainly be shooting wildlife with this lens and I think I am liking the versatility of the 200-400 w/ possible 280-560. Does anyone have any experience with this lens or perhaps another one of Canons's lenses? I want to get this right the first time if I am dropping this much money. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

OP
Frosty82

Frosty82

WKR
Hey All,

I know there are some amazing photographers on here and I am hoping to get some help/feedback. I am currently contemplating taking the plunge and buying one of Canon's top telephoto lenses. Uffda...I might be crazy. Anyways, I am leaning towards the EF 200-400mm f/4 w/ built in 1.4x extender. I will mainly be shooting wildlife with this lens and I think I am liking the versatility of the 200-400 w/ possible 280-560. Does anyone have any experience with this lens or perhaps another one of Canons's lenses? I want to get this right the first time if I am dropping this much money. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Afternoon bump.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hey All,

First what body are you planning on putting on it?

Second, I really really doubt anyone on this forum has used that lens, I've seen one, in a glass case at a photo store, but that lens is in another tier of photography, even for professionals. you will be hard pressed to find anyone with a lot of experience with a lens of that stature outside of a couple photo forums, and even then it will probably be few and far between.

Im just going to shoot you straight. Unless you make a living selling wildlife photos then there is really no need for this, and quite honestly alot of guys make a living with alot less then that lens. most Pro wildlife guys run primes, and for good reason. your paying ALOT of money for the zoom aspect with the constant F/4 and quite honestly the wide side is nothing special as far as specs go.

what are you hoping to get out of that lens? what benefits over whatever your shooting now are you hoping to achieve?

Clearly money is not an issue but if you gave me 10K for lenses, that one wouldn't be on my list.

with that said i have no idea whats already in your bag and at your disposal, but either way id absolutly find a place to rent that before plopping down 10K.

Last edited:

mtmiller

WKR
I have no experience with the lens you are looking at, but met a guy using it this year while shooting elk. He mentioned that he really like it.

I shoot a crop sensor Nikon with a 500f4. Initially I was planning on getting a 200-400 f4, but decided to save a little longer and get the prime. I have never been disappointed with that decision. The only time I have wished for he zoom was occasionally shooting bison and moose, where I just had too much lens (worse problems to have).

Spending the extra money for the Nikon 500 over the 200-400 was a tough decision for me at the time. Spending more money for a Canon 200-400 1.4 over a 500 would be an easy decision for me.

Whichever direction you go, I am looking forward to seeing more of you work.

OP
Frosty82

Frosty82

WKR
Thanks for the responses gentleman.

I have changed direction and will most likely go with a prime lens. Thanks for your time and the feedback!