What Video Camera?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
This is the third year I have messed up a Sony video camera. This year its the Sony AX-53. Am I just too hard on the cameras or are the Sony's just cheap??

What video camera would you guys/gals suggest? I carry it with me everywhere and I do need some zoom for medium range shots. I am not a picture taker so I would like to stay with the video cameras but I will take any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

jmden

WKR
Possibly the Panasonic HC-W580. Full HD, 50x optical and 90x digital zoom, but the neatest feature for the shooter is an integral picture in picture near and far shot at once. It has two cameras. One you can put on the shooter, the other on the target and it automatically does it 'picture in picture' with no additional editing. Perfect for the long range shooter. And it is small and light.

Panasonic HC-W580 Review - Pros, Cons and Verdict

There's a good example starting at about 15:00 in this youtube video from spike hunting last year:

2016 Spike-only OTC DIY Public Land - YouTube

Might not be 'professional' enough for you. Don't know.

colonel00

WKR
I've carried a Panasonic HC-V550 with me for a few years on hunts. Sounds like the newer version above is pretty sweet. I like it because it is a "true" video camera that has a ton of zoom which can be nice for wildlife.

What do you seem to keep breaking on the Sony's?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've carried a Panasonic HC-V550 with me for a few years on hunts. Sounds like the newer version above is pretty sweet. I like it because it is a "true" video camera that has a ton of zoom which can be nice for wildlife.

What do you seem to keep breaking on the Sony's?

The first one just quit turning on. The last two the Image stabilizer quite working. So it will not focus while zooming. OR at least that what Sony tell me. But I can only understand about half of what "Dave" is saying:)

Precision Camera has fixed the first two and has AX. But its a pain in the Ass to send them in.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a JVC Everio for 5 years now and love it. Small, light, and big zoom (40 optical and 70 digital). I have half expected it to bite the dust already as it get drudged through the North Idaho jungles yearly especially for the cost. After I bought mine they came out with a water, shake, dust, freeze proof model that I wish I would have known was coming out. Here are a couple examples.
Idaho elk clips 2012 - YouTube
blond bear 2014 - YouTube

Last edited: