Camera addition!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey sliders! I just picked up a Sony a6500 as my backup and B camera. I think this is going to be a great interchangeable lens light weight compact solution over my A7sii for backpacking trips. I'm about to go on the last long push of the season for filming, so I'll get to put it to the test on some epic hunts. I'll update everyone with my thoughts on it once we are finished!

Hey sliders! I just picked up a Sony a6500 as my backup and B camera. I think this is going to be a great interchangeable lens light weight compact solution over my A7sii for backpacking trips. I'm about to go on the last long push of the season for filming, so I'll get to put it to the test on some epic hunts. I'll update everyone with my thoughts on it once we are finished!
Look forward to your thoughts on it. So you'll be using it in place of the A7sii or as a backup to it?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look forward to your thoughts on it. So you'll be using it in place of the A7sii or as a backup to it?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I’ll be using it as a backup and a secondary camera angle to my A7 the rest of the year. Hoping it’s something that for my personal backpack trips I can use instead of my A7 though for the weight and size factor. So, a little bit of both really is what the plans are for it. But for the next 2 months or so it will be used along side my A7sii.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great choice. Sony is a great product. They are now #2 in SLR market share behind Canon. Sony has a done an amazing job in product development. Their lenses are top shelf as well

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I pretty much only shoot stills, but I have an a6500 and love it for the backcountry. There are some great compact lens options for it, and if you're really trying to save space you can hump it in the pack with the lens off.

I think the biggest negative you'll find is the short battery life, but if you have an a7sii you already know that.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Keep us updated as I'm looking to buy a a6500 as my main hunting camera. Like feedback on if you see any rolling shutter issues and overheating.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep us updated as I'm looking to buy a a6500 as my main hunting camera. Like feedback on if you see any rolling shutter issues and overheating.

For sure! Very interested in the overheating issue myself... supposed to have been pretty well fixed over the 6300 issues, but I’ll definitely find out!

Moose2367

Lil-Rokslider
Been looking at one myself for my main camera, first foray into the higher end cameras. Currently using a Panasonic FZ-40, or point and shoot waterproof little Panasonic

For sure! Very interested in the overheating issue myself... supposed to have been pretty well fixed over the 6300 issues, but I’ll definitely find out!

Late season hunting in Wyoming should take care of the overheating issue. Probably have to get Kifaru to make a Lost Park for the thing to keep it from freezing :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"

Any updates on this one Jordan?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any updates on this one Jordan?

So far so good! Haven’t had overheating issues yet, although it was been fairly chilly outside lately. I used it in Vegas in doors a bit last week and still no issues.

Being able to customize all of the buttons exactly like I have on my A7 is top notch! The size and weight is great for carrying around, and it has a ton of features. Super happy with it!

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan...what are your "go to" lens for your A7 and A6500?

Canon 24-105 (recently purchased the Sony 24-70, and maybe the replacement for the canon)
Canon 70-200 2.8
Rokinon 14mm
50mm prime

I use the the 24mm’s the most, followed by the 70-200, then the 14mm. The only thing I really use the 50 for is for digiscoping.

I really like the range and size of that Sony 24-70. That canon 25-105 lens is awesome but with the adapter it’s a little large on the Sony bodies.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Canon 24-105 (recently purchased the Sony 24-70, and maybe the replacement for the canon)
Canon 70-200 2.8
Rokinon 14mm
50mm prime

I use the the 24mm’s the most, followed by the 70-200, then the 14mm. The only thing I really use the 50 for is for digiscoping.

I really like the range and size of that Sony 24-70. That canon 25-105 lens is awesome but with the adapter it’s a little large on the Sony bodies.

Did you do the G master Sony lens? I know they have several ones to choose from

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you do the G master Sony lens? I know they have several ones to choose from

It’s not the G Series, it’s the Zeiss lens. The G series is like 2100$, I think mine was like a 1000$ and plenty of lens for what I’m doing.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Canon 70-200 2.8
Rokinon 14mm
50mm prime

Can we please see your digiscope set up with the A6500?

goat1958

FNG
How are you digiskoping with a 50 mm lense on your A6500 ?
Id like to see a pic and some info on how you do that ..thanks Steve

It’s not the G Series, it’s the Zeiss lens. The G series is like 2100$, I think mine was like a 1000$ and plenty of lens for what I’m doing.

I skipped the G master - too big for bag country.

The most fun I’ve had with a camera in the back country was with the S II with a 55z and 24-240 pair; the 12mp sensitivity more than makes up for the slow zoom, and the range for wildlife was unreal into 1080p crop modes.

The A6500 is begging for the 18-105 G lens... this is a sharp, constant aperture parafocal zoom for $500.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How are you digiskoping with a 50 mm lense on your A6500 ?
Id like to see a pic and some info on how you do that ..thanks Steve

I’ll definitely post a picture of the setup when I can. But it’s the TinesUp adapter on a 50mm prime lens.

doug@novagrade

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Universal Camera Digiscoping Adapter

Besides phone adapters Novagrade also makes adapters for cameras. Check out the universal camera adapter that connects via the filter ring threads on your lens. When you order simply pick the appropriate filter ring for your setup. If you want to use on a different camera you simply get a different $2 ring.

View attachment 63888View attachment 63889