Panasonic Lumix GH5 - thoughts??

jdk81

FNG
Has anyone here had much chance to play with this newer body? Wondering what everyone is experiencing with it, I have heard very little. Was supposed to shoot 1080 in like 180fps and ability to shoot 4k. How is the video actually, and how are the photos?

Considering this body as my go to. Currently do not own a DSLR, only dedicated camcorder. Do have an extensive amount of experience with DSLR's. Thanks

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
This is one of the two or three most well thought of cameras for video of you research all the prosumer-oriented channels on YouTube. The one flaw that has me holding off hoping for a fix in the GH6 (supposedly 2018 release) is the autofocus tracking. There are a couple applications in the work that I do where good tracking would make my life easier. Otherwise, the GH5 is the camera that I’d buy right now. Check out Tony Northrup’s videos on the GH5. Kai W has a good one with footage (and he’s a funny smart ass).

Some of the features off the top of my head that make the GH5 first on my list (not in any order):

Headphone jack (never buy a body without this)
Full-size HDMI output
IBIS
Articulating screen that allows vlog style shots
V-LOG color profile
180fps in HD
4K (not the BS cropped 4K that Canon pulled on the 5DMk4)

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems like guys/gals in the industry are either running a GH4/5 or the A7sii. They are coming out with the GH5s that's suppose to have better low light, but not as good as the A7sii. I heard it also doesn't have in body stabilization for some reason.

I run the A7sii and I really prefer the Sony interface/customization and menu system over the panasonic. I personally don't see why you wouldn't want to go full frame instead of the micro 4/3. That GH5 is a great camera, but in my personal opinion the Sony A7sii beats it.

Personally am not a fan of Panasonic or Olympus low light performance or autofocus systems without the side of $$$$ lenses.

The quality of stills is okay - indoors your kids eyes won’t always be sharp.

Outside and video is where they do shine. The GH5 has frame rates to do special tricks with but there’s so much more to cinema before those will improve your footage.

If you go with the GH5 and the Leica lenses 12-60, 100-400, 15, 42.5, etc you will have an amazing set.

I’d recommend, however, starting with rx10 iv (4) if you are gonna skimp on the lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jdk81

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I have sinced talked with many people in the industry running these cameras and they seem to be the cream of the crop for slow mo video. That being said, if stills is your thing you would be better off with a Nikon D750/D850. The holdback on those for me is the video ability. I suppose it all depends on application..

Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for the replies. I have sinced talked with many people in the industry running these cameras and they seem to be the cream of the crop for slow mo video. That being said, if stills is your thing you would be better off with a Nikon D750/D850. The holdback on those for me is the video ability. I suppose it all depends on application..

Thanks
The D850 shoots in 4k, what is your hold back from it? Full frame, 4k, 45.7mp, it's about as good as it gets for a prosumer camera. The GH5 is a video beast, but can't hold a candle to a FF camera for stills and depth of field.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sony full frame is the hottest thing in the industry right now. They are now #2 in SLR market share, nipping at Canon's heels. Their lenses and cameras have been well received and offer something for everyone. Nothing beats mirrorless for video

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you do a lot of switching lenses in the field you have to be careful with a mirrorless though, as the sensor is exposed and collects dust. Just something to think of. If you are running a dedicated lens it's pretty much a non issue. Sony is getting better on battery life, thankfully.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WLD

FNG
Personally am not a fan of Panasonic or Olympus low light performance or autofocus systems without the side of $$$$ lenses.

The quality of stills is okay - indoors your kids eyes won’t always be sharp.

Outside and video is where they do shine. The GH5 has frame rates to do special tricks with but there’s so much more to cinema before those will improve your footage.

If you go with the GH5 and the Leica lenses 12-60, 100-400, 15, 42.5, etc you will have an amazing set.

I’d recommend, however, starting with rx10 iv (4) if you are gonna skimp on the lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What you mentioned above is my current setup, I love it