What lens sizes to bring hunting?

mvangaasbeck

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone! I just bought a sony a5000 and a 50-200mm lens for pics a little farther out, but i was wondering what lens you prefer to use when taking pics of your animal when its on the ground. I'm only looking to add 1 more lens at the moment

dotman

WKR
Samyang 12mm f2 would be perfect, it’ll give you great close ups, landscapes and night shots of stars.

colonel00

WKR
Well, depending on what you want to shoot, you probably want some sort of wide angle for landscapes, trophy shots and other stuff. For me, I tend to carry too much but at a minimum I like to carry two zooms. One is either an 18-135 or recently I've been using a 16-85. From there, a decent tele-zoom will do like a 55-300. Your 50-200 might leave you a little short for longer shots but you'll have to see how you like it.

Also, these I don't shoot a Sony so your lens selections will probably differ a bit.

I am not a hunter but have been taking pictures for just shy of 50 years. Started as a kid. Feel free to call me as I have seen thousands of great Trophy shots on the various forums. I know what it takes to get them and what would work best in your budget.
I am here today until 6 and tomorrow from 10-5

Look forward to hearing from you

I'm using a crop sensor camera like the original poster, and have been pretty happy with the trophy shots I'm getting using the kit 18-55 lens set at 18mm. You still get that nice wide angle perspective without completely distorting everything like an ultra-wide or fisheye lens would. This is usually the only lens I bring with me hunting since it covers so many possibilities. Landscapes, shots around camp, close-ups, trophy shots, etc.

I bring 12mm prime, 18-55mm, and 50-230. Would use the first 2 once an animal is on the ground. My shot in the Kifaru Bull contest was taken with Samyang 12mm f/2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtmiller

WKR
I'm using a crop sensor camera like the original poster, and have been pretty happy with the trophy shots I'm getting using the kit 18-55 lens set at 18mm. You still get that nice wide angle perspective without completely distorting everything like an ultra-wide or fisheye lens would. This is usually the only lens I bring with me hunting since it covers so many possibilities. Landscapes, shots around camp, close-ups, trophy shots, etc.

Agree completely. I also shoot crop sensor Nikon, but my kit lens is 18-105. Get a light, wide angle, to compliment your 50-200 and go hunting.

NYSKIER

WKR
Not trying to hijack the thread but how do you guys carry the two lenses you are suggesting to bring? I'm going to be running a very similar set up next year for the first time and was curious. I think I read on here or huntalk about guys using a neoprene lens cover for the spare lens and/or splitting up your gear to pack it easier and protect it in your bag

colonel00

WKR
Not trying to hijack the thread but how do you guys carry the two lenses you are suggesting to bring? I'm going to be running a very similar set up next year for the first time and was curious. I think I read on here or huntalk about guys using a neoprene lens cover for the spare lens and/or splitting up your gear to pack it easier and protect it in your bag

I have a couple sets of pouches like this. Great for lenses or many other things. My drone even fits in a large one. Hard to be for $13 for a set.

Amazon.com : (4 Pack) Altura Photo Thick Protective Neoprene Pouch Set for DSLR Camera Lens (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic) - Includes: Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large Pouches : Camera & Photo

OP
mvangaasbeck

mvangaasbeck

Lil-Rokslider
I was planning on getting a neoprene pouch and sticking it in my exo 3500

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a fan of the 18-55 or 18-135mm lenses for crop sensors. I use a 14mm as an ultra wide but I'm just not a fan of prime lenses for a main or everyday carry lens.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Since it's a crop sensor, I would get a prime in the 30mm range. Not sure what Sony has to offer though, I haven't been keeping up since I got all my photo stuff.

The best 12mm lens right now is the new Laowa 12mm 2.8D. The D stands for distortion free. The normal retail is $949.00. The price for members would be $849.99. Instant rebates come and go so when you are ready it might go lower

dotman

WKR
The best 12mm lens right now is the new Laowa 12mm 2.8D. The D stands for distortion free. The normal retail is $949.00. The price for members would be $849.99. Instant rebates come and go so when you are ready it might go lower

The Laowa might be best but doubt it blows the Samyang away, the Zeiss didn’t and at $289 - $329 it’s pretty darn impressive and a great budget option for those just getting into photography which I would think if your buying an A5000 or A6000 your testing the waters and not ready to spend a ton on additional lenses.

Does Cameralandny sell the Samyang or Rokinon 12mm F2 for the E mount? I think you could sell a few pretty easy here.

Good review of the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm APS-C lens. DustinAbbott.net

Last edited:

NYSKIER

WKR

I have a padded case, $30(Amazon) goes in my backpack. Can fit my camera as well. If I fall on my pack or if it rolls off a log/boulder, I know it can take a lil bit more of a hit. Kifaru small belt pouch carries the lenses if inclined. It would be awesome if they had a zippered vertical pouch that you could fit a lens in with the possibility of putting 2 on one side of your hip belt. The case also comes with a rain cover, I wouldnt trust in a heavy rain though.

1d16fd4fcf3f35dfdb7083485814ff9b.jpg

c9feef341de9fd5fa0df068a67501f06.jpg

b7ae565fafe3850827235eac2e6a39d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
It would be awesome if they had a zippered vertical pouch that you could fit a lens in with the possibility of putting 2 on one side of your hip belt.

Not sure about the actual size of the Kifaru or other water bottle holders but I made my own that can also hold a lens in one of those neoprene pouches. When not holding a lens, it can hold a water bottle.