Canon EOS Rebel T3

Was gifted a Canon EOS Rebel T3 camera for christmas this year. It came with a Canon EFS 18-55mm lens. This is the start of my photography journey and want to make sure I get started off correctly. From what I understand the camera is around 5-6 years old but in very good shape and used very rarely. Where can I find some good instructional videos that are from credible sources to start learning? I'm very inexperienced with photography and photo editing. What software do most of you use for your editing needs? Also is the current lens a good startup lens or is there a one size fits all lens for starters that I should look into? Just to give you a little bit of insight of what I plan on shooting with the camera are family pictures, kayaking, wildlife, and landscape. These are for my own needs. Not looking at starting a business in photography. Any input, pointers, and advice is always welcomed and desired. Thanks in advance!

Aron Snyder just put up a 3 part kifarucast about photography otherwise I have been looking on YouTube and have found many different videos that help a ton!

Jump on youtube and you will get more information than you can handle. This theory doesn't always prove correct, but to filter out some of the sub-optimal information on the youtubes, start with the videos that have the most views. There is A LOT of quality info there for you to go as deep in the rabbit hole as you want.

OP
huntaholic123
Thanks for the input. Ya I have been watching some youtube videos but didn't know if there was a particular video people suggest or certain people to look for.

bought that very same camera when it came out. was going to be my new hobby but it quickly faded. Great camera and an easy learning curve. Just take lots and lots of pics. Experiment and have fun. Bought a book in the for dummies series, think it was dedicated to the t3, very helpful

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
The lens that came with your camera is referred to as a “kit lens”. It’s versatile and good enough to be able to please most beginners at an acceptable price point. I recommend using it until you reach a point that it isn’t meeting your needs. If you reach that point, you’ll have enough experience to guide you in choosing your next lens.

You can take some very nice pictures with the kit lens, but it is an entry level tool and if you stick with it long enough you will outgrow it.

B and H Photo is a major photography retailer, and their YouTube channel has some very good, in depth tutorial videos.

I use Adobe Lightroom for editing (just got Photoshop too, but haven’t started using it yet). If you want to use the Adobe products, the cheapest deal is $9.99/mo for the Photography plan that comes with Lightroom Classic CC (the desktop app), Lightroom CC (a light version that runs in the cloud), Photoshop CC (desktop app) and 20GB of cloud storage.

You may still be able to buy the pervious desktop version (Lightroom 6) if you want to own the software, but expect Adobe to stop updating it. They are fully bought into the subscription model.

There are other editing options out there (some are free), but I’m not knowledgeable about them.

Do yourself a favor and shoot “Raw+JPEG”, it’s in your camera settings. The camera will make a JPEG, so you can use your images before you take on learning editing. You’ll want to do your editing with the Raw file. It’s not an image, rather all the information that makes the image, and it stores a lot more info than the JPEG your camera creates. This is the file to work with in editing. You edit the file, then export it as a JPG, PNG, TIFF, etc. Even if you don’t intend to start editing right away, store the Raw files anyway. Once you learn editing, go back to your earlier photos and see how many “rejects” can be saved by editing. You might be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk