New to photography

20180110075349_IMG_0155.jpg20180109121832_IMG_0115.jpg20180109075153_IMG_0100.jpg
Ok so I got a new canon rebel t6 for my birthday that came with the standard 18-50 and a 75-300 lens. I have been listening to Aron Snyder and getting on YouTube to learn the camera and settings but could use some input on these pictures. What should I look at changing in the future to make a better image?

troutdreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I am not familiar with your system or the settings for these shots but I would suggest practice all you can on holding your camera steady, using VR on your lens if available, get a good focus point and trying either aperture or shutter priority vs program camera settings on your photos.

Shoot in RAW vs .jpg and practice editing your photos.

Take time to view photos you like (FB, Instagram, 500px, etc) and try to emulate them to help develop your composition techniques.

Join a photo challenge and leans different photography techniques and concepts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best bet would be to find a local camera store that has an education program or check your local library. Take some classes. It will help. What you shot is a very good start. Like Troutdreamer said...Practice. It really does make perfect

Feel free to call me with any questions

Daubsnu1

FNG
I'm a part time pro photographer, at least that's what other forums call me : ) I have a day job in higher education and do pictures on weekends.

Been making $$ doing a few senior pics, sports pics, families and the occasional wedding. All self taught. Get on the web, watch youtube videos, and keep experimenting. Once you get a feel for your camera and lenses, you will want to upgrade your equipment. Don't be afraid of searching craigslist and e-bay for good deals. I've purchased and sold several camera bodies via e-bay, and lenses as well.

You will want quality stuff, but don't get suckered in to the latest and greatest / bleeding edge of camera equipment. My main body is a Nikon D3s, that was introduced in 2009. I do have great lenses (Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S, 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED).

Buy quality glass...it will last you for many, many years.

And always remember, “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” ― Ansel Adams.

bigmoose

WKR
I think you have a good DSLR for starting out. Once you get more familiar with it you may want to upgrade your lenses or at least add to them. There a several lenses you could buy without breaking the bank that will help to get better images. The Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM at $149 and the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM at $179 are a couple. I also like my Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM at $279. It's a great lens for landscape. When you get to the point that you really get into your camera and save up a little you might consider the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC HSM Art at $799. This lens is made for type of sensor on your T6. It is a little pricey (compared to the others) but it is one of the best lenses out there.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Check this guy out :
PhotoRec TV
- YouTube

If you go back a couple years in his videos, before he started shooting Sony, he has lots of great tips and techniques specifically relating to Canon. Also some great shooting tips in general. I actually went to Iceland with the guy as part of a photography group a couple years ago.
I will go against the grain here, and say don't bother with aperture priority, or shutter priority, but learn how to shoot full manual. Once you understand how everything works and is related to each other, then if you want to use one of the priority modes, go ahead.
You will for sure want to shoot in RAW, and do some post processing. Personally I use Lightroom\Photoshop, and pay $10 US per month for it. You used to be able to buy the separate programs outright, but I don't think you can any more. There are lots of other editing programs out there, but I haven't been keeping up.
Regarding gear, as others have said, glass is king. But you pay for it. Cranking up your ISO to get your shutter speed high enough to prevent motion blur will only get you so far. That, and the ability to have a very narrow depth of field for artistic purposes, are the reasons for the low F numbers, and the lower the F number, the more expensive it is lol. There are some deals to be had for sure, and as has been mentioned already, the STM lenses from canon are a great value.

OP
skyler_2010
Thank you for all the tips I am really excited to dive deep into this pool. I think my wife is already sick of the camera which is how it should be right lol