Photo Greenhorn: Cold Weather and Condensation Concerns?

brownbear

FNG
I was fortunate to be gifted my "first real camera" and with the season winding down, I am wanting to take it out and snap some pics. However, with the temps well below freezing I'm nervous about the cold temps and its effects on my brand-new camera- namely condensation. For those with winter photo experience: 1) How concerned should I be using my camera in winter temperatures and 2) How/Can I combat condensation, which, from what I read can indefinitely ruin a camera?

Thanks!

From what I have read most cameras are tested at around -40f so temps won't be a concern but condensation is a concern. One thing I have read is to put the camera in a zip lock bag or some kind of a sealable bag till it warms back up and the comdensation will be on the outside of the bag not on the inside or on the camera. I will try and find the article again that i found this information.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
A hot camera going into the cold won’t collect condensation. A cold camera going into a warm moist environment will. Once your camera gets cold, let it stay cold. When you do bring into a warm car or house, leave it in the camera bag to warm up slowly. When you’re outside, don’t breathe on your camera. Easy peasy.

If you’re out in weather conditions that grow frost or dew on anything, you can use chemical hand warmers to keep your lens warm enough to slow or defeat it. I don’t run into that scenario often. Just wrap a couple hand warmers around the lens with a rubber band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk