DSLR while hunting, how do you do it?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty much. Just take the weight and extra bulk penalty. Last year I used mostly my Sony A7sii with a 24-105 and wide angle lens. This year I'll lean more on the Sony A6500 with 24-17 and wide angle 14mm lens for personal backcountry stuff.

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I've just accepted that it's going to be weight that I have carry. I usually just bring one lense, but I wrap it all in a base layer and then stuff it in a dry bag. Goes in the middle of my pack to keep it protected from a fall, slip, etc.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much. Just take the weight and extra bulk penalty. Last year I used mostly my Sony A7sii with a 24-105 and wide angle lens. This year I'll lean more on the Sony A6500 with 24-17 and wide angle 14mm lens for personal backcountry stuff.

How do you like the A6500? I have been thinking about getting one.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you like the A6500? I have been thinking about getting one.

I'm a huge fan of it. Takes great pictures and has a lot of good video features for its price. 120p in 1080 being my favorite for sure. Really nice how small it is to stick in your pack over most others.

I don't do some of the massive backpacking trips that a lot of you North Americans do, but I lug my fair share of heavy stuff around and as has been said, I just accept that if I want the good pictures, I need to carry the gear.

My camera is an Olympus OMD EM1 MkII.

If I pack in a very long way, I have a few lenses to choose from. 17mm, 12-40mm, or 14-150mm. The last lens covers more bases but isn't as fast as the 12-40mm which can stay at a constant f2.8. The 14-150 goes from f4.0 to f5.6 - still not too bad.

I have a 50-200 for the 4/3 format Olympus DSLR's and use an adapter for my camera. It's too big to want to lug around a lot but it's a great lens and the new autofocus in the OMD EM1 MkII works well.

I have some places I pack into but don't even spend the night, but I may as well. I'll spend the night a few times this year, just to save the massive walk in and out. Depending on whether I'm mainly fishing or hunting, will depend on which lenses I take. If I'm after lots of video of the game, I have to take the 50-200, and then most likely another one for trophy shots, but if I don't think I'll be filming much, the 12-40mm lens is the best one I have.

young7.3

WKR
Pick up a Peak Design clip and strap in to the belt on your pack. It's super secure and you can access it in a matter of seconds.

Hi. This is Joel from Camera Land. I run the photo side of the business. Over the years I have had the pleasure of speaking with many of you about your photo needs.
This is not a 1 answer solution. It really depends on what you are looking to do, how much you want to carry and how much you want to invest.
Many hunters have gone with the Sony RX10 series as the lens is awesome, has a 1" sensor and a large zoom and takes fantastic photos. This keeps things light and gives you a wide range of options for photography. It's the perfect cross between a point and shoot and an SLR
We have sold many Canon and Nikon outfits, though the mirrorless options from Sony, Fuji and Olympus are starting to overtake them in popularity. The video on Mirrorless is far superior then the typical cameras with mirrors.
Feel free to contact me or Jeff and we will ALWAYS do the right thing for the members of Rokslide.
My email is [email protected] if you have any specific questions

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Peak Design clip on my waist belt, with the camera neck strap attached to my shoulder strap as a fail safe (the one time I didn't do this, I dropped my camera).

It's not ideal. The camera and lenses are big and heavy. If it's on your waist belt, it's potentially in the way. If it's in your pack, it's a pain to access it when you need it. And most phone cameras now are pretty exceptional for an amateur photographer.

All that to say, depending on the situation it might be on my belt, in my pack, or I may just use my iPhone. Lately I've had it on my belt a lot less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk