best action cam

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
best action cam?

i hunt with a Sony hdr-as200v strapped to my head.. but now i am looking at getting a better quality camera... the sony has been good but can kind of get a little blurry at times... what are some good options? i know the gopro hero 6 was released but it seams a little big so i was looking at the gopro session 5... any info on them?

Last edited:

ckr117

Lil-Rokslider
Gopro is the way to go, they dominate that market for a reason. I don't believe the 5 or 6 is any bigger than what you already have, it might even be a little smaller. I cant speak for the session cams as I've never used one, but for the amount of features packed into the full size GoPro they are definitely impressive for what they are intended for.

OP
Dodgeis4me

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up with the gopro hero 6... will see how well it does

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ATX_Tyler

FNG
I just picked up the Hero 7 Black Edition, and I'm stunned by how well the Hypersmooth functionality works on that thing. Makes it seem like you have a whole gimbal setup, so the footage isn't bouncy when walking or riding in the truck/atv etc.

7Bartman

WKR
While I still carry my GoPro 6, I absolutely hate GoPros in general. Reason being is that they are unreliable in cold weather and have cost me incredible footage twice. I've had this problems with previous GoPros as well. Essentially what happens is that you hit record to get them to play in the cold weather and they turn on and don't start recording. You have to pull the battery out to get them to shut off once they do this. When they're actually working I think they do an acceptable job, problem is the unreliability. GoPro always blames the SD cards, but I've put nothing but high-end reputable cards in my cameras.

cwillmon

FNG
I just picked up the new DJI Osmo Action can, DJI’s version of the GoPro, and it’s awesome! The digital in camera stabilization, Rocksteady, is definitely better than the Hero 7’s Hypersmooth. Colors in the DJI aren’t quite as vivid as Gopro’s, so if you don’t like to color grade your video then that may be a negative for you (it’s a plus for me). There are already some companies making nice lens filters for the DJI that make the footage look even better. I’m happy with my decision to buy the DJI over the GoPro, even after being faithful to GoPro for the past 5 years.

How long of video can the new go pros record? How large of sd cards do they take? And im assuming they record audio, yes? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but i found their website lacking in basic information. Maybe im just a retard for not being able to find it. Im thinking about getting one that i could use to record myself calling bears and lions. Would want the ability to record up to an hour.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
For quality work, your budget is insufficient. Not even close. A quality camera capable of good action videos is generally well over $1000. No this is not professional grade, just a decent hobby camera.

I suggest you use your current camera and leave the editing to simple edits. Just fix white balance issues. Edit the scenes to be short. Work on trying to be consistent with lighting. Try using a lower frame rate. The lower the FPS, the more light will hit your frames. Try a modest boost to your ISO setting.