Sony A7 ii - Any experience with these?

cochran53

FNG
Hey Rokslide!

The A7ii is heavily discounted right now, so it's making me consider the jump into full frame. I was just curious if anyone has any experience with this camera. I know there are some people shooting the A7Sii and A7Rii on here.

At $1098, it seems to be one of the best value full frames at the moment. Anyway, thanks in advance for the help!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run the A7Sii which is more catered to the video crowd, but the look and buttons/etc its basically the same.

I really like the menu system and how you can customize all of the buttons. Literally all of them you can customize to how you want.. so if the ISO button isn't where you like it you can move it to where you do. One potential problem with them is that the sensors sit so far forward in the camera that they seem to get dirty quicker than my canon.. but most of that is from swapping lenses out. For video I just run my aperture super wide anyways and I don't have an issue too much with it. And for photos they can easily be fixed.

I'm really happy with mine, and really have no major complaints on it as far as photos go or how user friendly it is. I do like how much smaller it is compared to my canon.. easier to pack around. Haven't had any durability problems with mine yet either.

OP
C

cochran53

FNG
I run the A7Sii which is more catered to the video crowd, but the look and buttons/etc its basically the same.

I really like the menu system and how you can customize all of the buttons. Literally all of them you can customize to how you want.. so if the ISO button isn't where you like it you can move it to where you do. One potential problem with them is that the sensors sit so far forward in the camera that they seem to get dirty quicker than my canon.. but most of that is from swapping lenses out. For video I just run my aperture super wide anyways and I don't have an issue too much with it. And for photos they can easily be fixed.

I'm really happy with mine, and really have no major complaints on it as far as photos go or how user friendly it is. I do like how much smaller it is compared to my canon.. easier to pack around. Haven't had any durability problems with mine yet either.

Thanks Jordan! Follow-up question, any suggestion on lenses to start with? I'm currently looking at the 55mm 1.8 and 16-35mm 4.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Jordan! Follow-up question, any suggestion on lenses to start with? I'm currently looking at the 55mm 1.8 and 16-35mm 4.

If your just going to get one to start with I can't get myself away from variable lenses, so that 16-35mm would be pretty appealing to me. That 55mm 1.8 is a BA lens but for just one to start with I'd like a variable vs fixed.

The A7 MK2 is an amazing way to get into full frame. Of course we will do better for members of the forum then the 1098.00. That said, the lens options are plentiful. The ultra wide are nice but do you need more then 35mm? If you plan on shooting wildlife and are trying for a more multi purpose lens then you may want the 24-105.
Feel free to give me a call to discuss the options and pricing
Thanks to all for the amazing support you give us

OP
C

cochran53

FNG
The A7 MK2 is an amazing way to get into full frame. Of course we will do better for members of the forum then the 1098.00. That said, the lens options are plentiful. The ultra wide are nice but do you need more then 35mm? If you plan on shooting wildlife and are trying for a more multi purpose lens then you may want the 24-105.
Feel free to give me a call to discuss the options and pricing
Thanks to all for the amazing support you give us

I will definitely be shooting some wildlife, but landscape photography is my primary reason for getting the camera. I plan on getting a second/third lens in the summer or early fall. I was leaning toward the Holy Trinity of lenses (the F4 models), but I'm open to suggestions. Joel, I will definitely be sending you an email about pricing. Thanks for the info!

Deepshax

WKR
I use the A7II with the 16-35mm, I really like it though the 16-35 is a bit heavy. Youll know its there if you are running it off of peak designs clip.

OP
C

cochran53

FNG
Changing gears. I'm going to wait for the new Sony A7iii to drop and pick that up. It seems to be a MUCH better all around camera.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord