New camera w/video for under $500?

deadwolf

WKR
Hey all, I know absolutely ZERO about cameras, but I am in the market, and in over my head! My iphone photos and videos just aren't cutting it when it comes to documenting vacations, hunting, camping, family, etc.

I am looking for something that will take high quality photos and video, that's easy to use, and not terribly bulky or heavy. I'd like to stay under $500 but could go over slightly for the right camera. Let me know what's out there if you would, I need to get it and learn how to use it by August : )

Thanks

There's a guy selling a RX100 IV on the classifieds that I think would fit your needs quite well.

Once you do get something you should listen to the KifaruCast photography podcasts to get a crash course on redneck over-simplified photography. You will get a lot more out of any camera if you learn how to shoot in shutter priority or aperture priority.

There's a guy selling a RX100 IV on the classifieds that I think would fit your needs quite well.

Once you do get something you should listen to the KifaruCast photography podcasts to get a crash course on redneck over-simplified photography. You will get a lot more out of any camera if you learn how to shoot in shutter priority or aperture priority.

not no more he's not
:)

If you keep an eye on ebay you should be able to get an RX100 III or a Canon G7X Mark II in like new condition for well under 500. If you care about video in 4k you're gonna need to upgrade to the RX100 IV or V, which may put you slightly over the 500 mark depending on how long you're willing to scour ebay for a good deal. One thing I've noticed is a lot of those mid range cameras get bought for a single vacation then sit in a closet and end up sold in barely used condition at a good discount if you watch closely.

IMO the Canon is slightly easier to use and has a little longer zoom, but the Sony produces better pictures, especially in low light. I personally own a RX100 III and I love it.

RX100M3 Samples - Google Photos

If you want interchangeable lenses the Sony a6000 is a great option, but don't underestimate what good glass will cost you. You will blow right past that $500 budget if you want anything but the kit lens.

Last edited:
If you keep an eye on ebay you should be able to get an RX100 III or a Canon G1X Mark II in like new condition for well under 500. If you care about video in 4k you're gonna need to upgrade to the RX100 IV or V, which may put you slightly over the 500 mark depending on how long you're willing to scour ebay for a good deal. One thing I've noticed is a lot of those mid range cameras get bought for a single vacation then sit in a closet and end up sold in barely used condition at a good discount if you watch closely.

IMO the Canon is slightly easier to use and has a little longer zoom, but the Sony produces better pictures, especially in low light. I personally own a RX100 III and I love it.

RX100M3 Samples - Google Photos

If you want interchangeable lenses the Sony a6000 is a great option, but don't underestimate what good glass will cost you. You will blow right past that $500 budget if you want anything but the kit lens.

Some really nice pics Col.......

colonel00

WKR
Both suggestions are spot on. I have the Canon G7x II and really like it. Now, it doesn't get as much use as my DSLR but when weight matters, it will get the nod.

Also, you might check out the Olympus TG cameras that are waterproof and ready for the outdoors. Pictures and video probably aren't on the same level as the Canon and Sony but there is something to be said about being waterproof and "tough". As an example, I've had to carry my Canon in one of those small, clear Pelican cases (which fits it perfectly by the way) but that adds to the bulk and weight of what is supposed to be compact and easy to carry.

Yep, I carry my Sony in a Pelican 1010 too which fits perfectly. It is heavy, but a little weight is worth it for the shock and water protection. I bet you could run that thing over with no damage to the camera. The Sony is also lighter due to a small battery. Replacement batteries are relatively cheap though on ebay so I carry extras if I'm not bringing an external to charge my phone. I mostly take stills so it takes me a while to run through a battery, but if you were taking video you'll need some extras.

colonel00

WKR
One other point, if you are going to do video, get a wind muff or look up videos on how to make your own. To me, there is nothing that can ruin a great video like the wind noise. It may be the slightest breeze and it will sound like you have a jet engine blowing over the camera.

One other point, if you are going to do video, get a wind muff or look up videos on how to make your own. To me, there is nothing that can ruin a great video like the wind noise. It may be the slightest breeze and it will sound like you have a jet engine blowing over the camera.

I'd have to look into it again, but IIRC one big complaint about the RX100 is no remote microphone jack.

colonel00

WKR
Yep, I carry my Sony in a Pelican 1010 too which fits perfectly. It is heavy, but a little weight is worth it for the shock and water protection. I bet you could run that thing over with no damage to the camera. The Sony is also lighter due to a small battery. Replacement batteries are relatively cheap though on ebay so I carry extras if I'm not bringing an external to charge my phone. I mostly take stills so it takes me a while to run through a battery, but if you were taking video you'll need some extras.

Yeah, that's what I use as well. Not bad but it definitely doesn't fit in your pocket or even a small belt pouch so it kind of defeated the purpose of having the small camera that I could have readily available in my pocket or belt pouch :D Granted, mostly I was using the Pelican case when around water (packrafting) or in a wet enviroment (Alaska). However, even in most typical outdoors situations, I'd think just a double bagging in ziplocs would suffice for most applications.

Yeah, that's what I use as well. Not bad but it definitely doesn't fit in your pocket or even a small belt pouch so it kind of defeated the purpose of having the small camera that I could have readily available in my pocket or belt pouch :D

It fits perfectly in a mini belt pouch. They've unfortunately been discontinued, so you may have to overpay to get the color you want in secondary.

Owenst7

WKR
I'd take a look at the Sony HX400 (or a used HX300) if you are looking for something with a lot of zoom. I was just on a sheep hunt with someone using the 300 and was impressed.

If no zoom, Xwhatever on the RX100iii for a pocket camera that exceeds most people's skills.

I just ordered an a6000 after a good bit of research. The a5100 is a bit cheaper with a loss of a few features. That with the kit lens is right at $500 if you might want to add lenses to it later and have more versatility. There are some budget options out there if you're willing to do research, purchase used, and fiddle with adapters.

Note: I am far from an expert. The Kifarucast photography stuff is great to listen through if you're interested in getting started with the more technical details.

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
It fits perfectly in a mini belt pouch. They've unfortunately been discontinued, so you may have to overpay to get the color you want in secondary.

Good to know. I actually have some DIY belt pouches, more like water bottle holders, that I use for my DSLR lenses and that's what I used. My biggest gripe was just having to fumble with the Pelican case whenever I wanted a photo. I know, first world problems, but it did add to the challenge of rafting the Sag on the North Slope of Alaska in sub freezing temps :rolleyes:. Just saying there is place for a waterproof camera at times. But for me, I'd rather have my G7x and a GoPro versus a TG but others might not.

Good to know. I actually have some DIY belt pouches, more like water bottle holders, that I use for my DSLR lenses and that's what I used. My biggest gripe was just having to fumble with the Pelican case whenever I wanted a photo. I know, first world problems, but it did add to the challenge of rafting the Sag on the North Slope of Alaska in sub freezing temps :rolleyes:. Just saying there is place for a waterproof camera at times. But for me, I'd rather have my G7x and a GoPro versus a TG but others might not.

Oh yeah, in CO I am spoiled about not needing anything truly waterproof most of the time. I have had trips where I have needed some heavier water protection, but it's pretty rare. I also agree on the fumbling with the case part and want to get some Kydex and work on a custom MOLLE case with positive retention but want to line it with felt or something so it doesn't scratch the shit out of the camera.

The Sony RX100 series are excellent choices. The key question is what will you be doing with these images. If it's looking at them on a tablet or computer and not printing then it openes up a lot of choices. The videos at 1080 are so much better then camcorders were as little as 5 years ago.
Sony also makes a great camera, the DSC-HX80. Zeiss lens, small and amazing images. Here are the key features:
18.2MP BSI Exmor R CMOS Sensor
BIONZ X Image Processor
Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 30x Optical Zoom Lens
24-720mm (35mm Equivalent)
638k-Dot Pop-Up OLED Tru-Finder EVF
3.0" 921k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
Full HD 1080p/60 Video in XAVC S
Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC
Expanded ISO 12800 and 10 fps Shooting
Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization

Normally this is $369.99. We can do this for $349.99 as a forum member. This would be PERFECT for what you need. I have local customers that make 16x20 prints that look amazing.
Give me a call if I can help

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Man you guys are a huge help! Thanks so much for the replies and advice. And those sample photos from the RX100 III are really stunning. I watched a good review of the RX100 V on youtube last night from The Art of Photography, and then a couple others. True to how I do things, I think I started out with a $500 budget and quickly talked myself into substantially more when 4K video came into the picture. I sure don't want to buy one and then wish I had a level above. I think I will keep my eyes out for a RX100 IV or V, I have until August to search. Again, thanks a bunch! Matt

Owenst7

WKR
Man you guys are a huge help! Thanks so much for the replies and advice. And those sample photos from the RX100 III are really stunning. I watched a good review of the RX100 V on youtube last night from The Art of Photography, and then a couple others. True to how I do things, I think I started out with a $500 budget and quickly talked myself into substantially more when 4K video came into the picture. I sure don't want to buy one and then wish I had a level above. I think I will keep my eyes out for a RX100 IV or V, I have until August to search. Again, thanks a bunch! Matt

My computer can't play 4k, let alone do any processing, and it isn't all that old. Something to think about. 1080p or even 720 is what we were all watching not too long ago and was no slouch then. 720 is usually all my internet can stream off YouTube. Storage for any amount of video is something to think about too, even at 720.

Last edited:
OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Good point. We do have a 4K tv and blue ray player, and watch some Netflix in 4K. I did notice in the review I watched that he mentioned how fast the battery would drain when filming in 4K, as well as the fact that you could only do five minutes at a time. Something to consider as I don’t really want to be limited to five minutes of filming. The RX100 iii would probably be all I need. Need to quench that desire to have the very best all the time and be more practical : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Thanks to Joel at Cameraland, I have a new Sony A6000 headed my way. For someone moving up from an iphone and point and shoot cameras, I already feel in over my head, but I'm really looking forward to learning and hopefully taking some high quality photos and videos. Thank you to everyone who answered here, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as well as lurking in the threads trying to pickup any info and tips I can.

Matt