Night shots with a new a6000

Owenst7

WKR
This is pretty much my first week with a camera that isn't a smartphone. Pretty stoked on what I can get out of it so far.

12mm rokinon
EB7yZt5.jpg

Y17jVaL.jpg

35mm CCTV lens - This lens is super fun for shallow depth of field.
genNAX8.jpg

Seems to be working for you! How do you like the Rokinon over all? I've been thinking about picking one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cochran53

FNG
Seems to be working for you! How do you like the Rokinon over all? I've been thinking about picking one up.

I run the a6000 with the samyang version (it's the exact same lens). If you are on the fence, you should get it. It's a really fun lens. With focus peaking, it's also really easy to ensure proper focus.

OP
O

Owenst7

WKR
I'm no expert, nor do I have much to compare it to. I just picked up a used one due to the overwhelming number of recommendations online.

I think there's even a third brand that is that same relabeled samyang too. Sounds like it's all the same company just marketed in different countries.

I haven't played with it much in daylight to use focus peaking, but it's not tough to focus on the sky if you program on of your buttons to do "focus assist"/zoom/whatever it's called. I set c1 next to the shutter so it's easy to reach.

Those CCTV lenses are probably a good way to practice/figure out if you like prime lenses with manual focus. 35mm is also a cool length on this sensor.

I'm definitely a nube, but have had the 6000 and both 'kit' lenses for about a year now. My first real go at paying attention to what I'm doing instead of just clicking the shutter, it's been a learning curve for sure! A lot of fun, but definitely looking to upgrade some glass, and this little lens seems like a decent option for landscapes without dropping a ton of cash.

OP
O

Owenst7

WKR
I'm definitely a nube, but have had the 6000 and both 'kit' lenses for about a year now. My first real go at paying attention to what I'm doing instead of just clicking the shutter, it's been a learning curve for sure! A lot of fun, but definitely looking to upgrade some glass, and this little lens seems like a decent option for landscapes without dropping a ton of cash.

I've been pretty successful with the 16-50 for shooting the stars too. We don't have a ton of light pollution around here, and I can just about get decent shots with my cellphone if I do a 15 second exposure.

I actually like that 16-50 a lot just for how versatile it is. It's handy to have something that's compact and has stabilizing/autofocus that is well integrated with the camera. I'd just plain miss a lot of shots if I had to fiddle with it for a minute every time I wanted to take a picture of something on the trail.

I spent some time with the 210mm today taking shots of people coming down the ski slopes. I picked up a 1.7x teleconverter for dirt cheap on ebay...I think it comes out to a little over 7x(?) with that setup. I need to work out a better mount, but I was able to get some decent video of people doing fast turns on my BeFree video head. I'll probably get a mount that supports from the end too. I've got about a week before I have to be back to work, so I'm hoping to make it out to central NV for a few days to take some pictures of sheep.