Which Canon Lens?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to pick up another lens for my Canon 80D. Something that would be a good all-around lens to carry on hunts. I would like to keep it around $1000 or less but if you like something that's more, please share it as well.

Thank you

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Justin,

As you know I am a Nikon shooter, but the Canon 15-85 might suit you well and would be a good lightweight match to your APS-C 80D. Backpackers seem to love it, so it should be well suited to backcountry hunting. I wish Nikon had a similar offering. Of course, you would still need a telephoto lens as well if you planned on shooting any subjects at distance.

If you plan on moving up to full frame sometime soon, you may want to consider investing in a good general lens for a full frame camera now. Something like the 24-105L should work fine on your 80D now, and would be a great match for a full frame body later. Just be aware you are limited on wide angle with the APS-C body and the full-frame focal lengths.

The big question is how all around do you want? just wide or 18-300/400. Our most popular lenses in the all around are the latest Tamron lenses. They have a 16-300 and an 18-400. Both are awesome. Super sharp, great coatings on all of the optics and a 6 year warranty. Both of these are great for trophy shots, group shots and of course super telephotos for the one that got away.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions
516-217-1000 or [email protected]

Joel

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going to stick with an APS-C sensor, you could consider the Canon 17-55 F2.8. Or if you want a bit more range, but are willing to sacrifice the aperture, the 18-135 STM. If you think you might go to full frame in the future, maybe the 24-105 L. I have all three of those lenses, and a few bodies, and when I am hunting, I usually have my SL-1, 40mm F2.8 STM, and the 55-250 STM. If I go out for the purpose of photography, then it's a whole other ballgame lol.

Canon 24-70 f2.8 would be a great lens for a walk around with some zoom capabilities. I rented one a few weeks back and I really liked it. I shoot with the 70D and it was plenty wide to shoot at an indoor archery tournament. I would avoid buying a lens that is made for an aps-c censor only. You don't sacrifice anything with the full frame lens and ones re-sale on the crop lens isn't near as good and if you go full frame at some point, you can still use it. Maybe rent a couple before you make the final decision .

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

wesfromky

WKR
Depending on what you have already, I was a huge fan of the 85 1.8, 135 f2, and rented the 100 2.8IS macro a few times. 17-40 f4 was a decent lens as well. But, I haven't shot canon in several years, so no idea what the new hotness is.