2013 Nikon D5100 for upcoming Elk hunt

So I am going on a solo Elk hunt in September, in Idaho. My wife has a Nikon D5100 that I got for her in about 2013. Is this a good camera?? What lenses can I/should I look at getting. Not sure what is available for this camera anymore. I would love to get a new camera, but as most guys here know, going on the first Elk hunt is expensive. By the time you by tent, bags, pack, tags, etc it adds up quickly.

Any help of advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

T

The beauty of that camera is it'll be lightweight. The bad is that it's not super weatherproof/dustproof, but there are workarounds for that for pretty reasonable. My wife has the 5300 and I have the 7500 and the 7500 is awesome, but considerably heavier. But - when I am whipping it around with a heavier lens, I am not as concerned about putting undue stress on the body, the body feels beefier. Stating all of that, this year for the first time I didn't take anything but an iphone and a phoneskope on my Vortex Razor 16-48, and I wasn't disappointed. BUT, this was a muley hunt, so lots more long distance glassing. If you're looking for pretty pictures of the landscape, and post kill pics, I would go with a wide angle if you can find one. The 18-200 that typically comes with alot of these cameras is a great lens and pretty lightweight. I have gone to an 11-20 f/2.8 Tokina on my 7500 most of the time with a 50 and a 80-200 in the bag with me most of the time. But that 11-20 takes some great landscape and night shots. I could definitely see taking that lens alone for all the pics I need, and use the digiscope for long shots.
Hope this helps somewhat. That 11-20 would be a great fit for the body you have. The only downside is that it blocks the cameras internal flip up lens for any night portraits. So bring a flashlight.

Last edited:
OP
Bigtmiller
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Now I just need to practice and learn all the details of this camera.

Thank you again!

I assume you have the 18-55 which was the kit lens for that camera. There are a few good options. Give me a call and I am happy to help

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I took a D5100 to Tanzania for 14 days. Man was it dusty. The camera and lenses came through just great with a little cleaning at night. They bounced around in the Landcruiser over some god awful tracks and had no ill effects. The advice on the Tokina wide angle is good advice. My father used that lens and I am about to buy the autofocus newer version. Good luck.