Beginner Photography Resources

ljalberta

WKR
Well, I decided to dip my toes into the photography world. My wife got me an older setup - A Canon XSi with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-250mm lens. I'm already loving it and the way it bring nature to life compared to my point and shoot camera and my iPhone, however I really have no idea what I'm doing. I've found quite a few resources for learning just through google and youtube, however I was wondering if anyone has any specific websites, videos, books, etc etc that they've found especially helpful for a complete photography beginner?

colonel00

WKR
I'm sure there are some books and web pages out there but learning about ISO and shutter speed and aperture and how they all relate really didn't click until I just got out and took photos. In most situations, most of the stuff won't really matter as your camera's Auto or P mode will do all of the settings for you to get you a good shot. It's more when you are in a specific situation like trying to "freeze" a fast moving animal or shooting in low light/night where you don't want to have a high ISO and noise.

Anyway, I'd just say to get out and take photos. You'll soon find what kind of photography you like and you'll start to find "problems" that you want to fix which will lead you to what you need to learn.

jobmorri

Lil-Rokslider
You might check out the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson....it's a pretty good resource for learning about shooting in manual. But Brad is right.....snapping pics over and over and learning your camera is a great start.

YouTube is a gold mine for camera reviews and photography pointers. I like the Tony Northrup videos, but to each their own.

cochran53

FNG
YouTube is a gold mine for camera reviews and photography pointers. I like the Tony Northrup videos, but to each their own.
+1 Tony and Chelsea's videos are great, and their books are also super helpful for a beginner. Look at Stunning Digital Photography and their book on Light Room.