Canon M50

H82miss

FNG
I'm new to photography/video but looking to jump in. I'd like to take pictures of my kids, wildlife and hunting pics. I'd also like to video my daughters gymnastics meets, and possibly film some hunts.
I had it whittled down to a Canon T7i or Sony a6300, leaning toward T7i but was thinking I wanted to go mirrorless, hence the a6300. However, the non-flip around screen on the a6300 is a deal breaker.
As I am banging my head against the wall trying to choose, I come across the new Canon M50.
I think this camera has everything I want, but as a novice, I'd like some input. I have a few questions.
Should I buy the camera with the 15-45mm kit lens? ($899)
Or the kit with the 15-45mm and the 55-200mm lens? ($1249)
Or buy just the body and the 18-150mm lens? ($1278)
Or, say screw the mirrorless and get the T7i?
Thanks for any input.

FURMAN

WKR
I have no clue about the M50 but the a6300 has some pluses you will not see in a plain side by side comparison. If you plan on shooting video with anything moving as your subject you should find some youtube vids. The Sony has one of the best autofocuses Ive seen.

jmz82

FNG
I'm new to photography/video but looking to jump in. I'd like to take pictures of my kids, wildlife and hunting pics. I'd also like to video my daughters gymnastics meets, and possibly film some hunts.
I had it whittled down to a Canon T7i or Sony a6300, leaning toward T7i but was thinking I wanted to go mirrorless, hence the a6300. However, the non-flip around screen on the a6300 is a deal breaker.
As I am banging my head against the wall trying to choose, I come across the new Canon M50.
I think this camera has everything I want, but as a novice, I'd like some input. I have a few questions.
Should I buy the camera with the 15-45mm kit lens? ($899)
Or the kit with the 15-45mm and the 55-200mm lens? ($1249)
Or buy just the body and the 18-150mm lens? ($1278)
Or, say screw the mirrorless and get the T7i?
Thanks for any input.

Curious...Why is the flip around screen an deal breaker? Based on your typical pictures this would be used very little. I went through this decision about a month ago and got the a6300. I made the decision I wasn't going to stay with a DSLR because the tech is going away from that direction, and went with sony because they are the leader in mirrorless with options and features.

OP
H82miss

H82miss

FNG
Curious...Why is the flip around screen an deal breaker?
I prefer the flip around screen for the ability to see what the camera is seeing while in front of it. My daughters are interested in making youtube vids and vlogs (I should've mentioned this in the original post) and I just think I like the design better. I used to have a Canon Powershot G2 and loved the flip around screen feature.

jmz82

FNG
I prefer the flip around screen for the ability to see what the camera is seeing while in front of it. My daughters are interested in making youtube vids and vlogs (I should've mentioned this in the original post) and I just think I like the design better. I used to have a Canon Powershot G2 and loved the flip around screen feature.

Gotcha makes sense then. As far as lenses if it were me I'd do the camera with the two lenses. If you use it for everything you mentioned you have a pretty good variety of uses. With the short lens you will be limited for wildlife (really with the 200mm as well but mirrorless doesn't have a ton of great options here for lower cost) gymnastics and filming hunts. You could always just get one and then buy the other later after you try it out unless you are getting a bundled deal.

Over 80% of the interchangeable lens cameras we sell are mirrorless. NOT 1 is a Canon. We sell a lot of traditional Canon SLR's. They have very limited lenses, have made minimal efforts in the mirrorless catagory. By far, nothing touches the Sony and Olympus cameras.

If having that ability is important you would be better off getting a monitor that can go on the flash shoe or a side mount that is larger and optically better. It allows you to get into a much better system.
Give me a call with any questions. As always, happy to help out

OP
H82miss

H82miss

FNG
Thanks for the info. Geez, so much to think about....do I want a mirrorless or DSLR? APS-C or full frame? Thought I knew what I wanted, now I'm not so sure. I was planning on budgeting ~$1200 for a body and lens or two, but that a7iii sure looks cool. Wow..I better think about it some more.

jmz82

FNG
Thanks for the info. Geez, so much to think about....do I want a mirrorless or DSLR? APS-C or full frame? Thought I knew what I wanted, now I'm not so sure. I was planning on budgeting ~$1200 for a body and lens or two, but that a7iii sure looks cool. Wow..I better think about it some more.

I was in the same boat, what kept me from the a7iii was my budget. for $1200 I was able to get a camera, 2 lenses, and some cheap accessories in a bundle. If I went with the a7iii your figure you are 2k in with just the camera body. My recommendation, if you are just starting out don't bother with full frame, it will save you a ton of cash (full frame lenses are much more also) and you have a lot you can learn. Plus A quality picture has much much more to do with the knowledge behind the camera rather than if its full frame or crop frame.