Favorite lens setup for Sony mirrorless (Alpha Series) for video & stills

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should get the new A7III and 24-105 in the next few days from Joel @ cameraland. I'd like to add 2 more lens to my kit in the near future and thinking a short/fast prime and then either the 70-200 or the 100-400. Coming from a crop sensor, I was spoiled with the reach.

Jordan...are you running the F2.8 or F4 70-200? I understand the a7III's FF sensor is great in low light and I'd love to save some $$, but guessing I'll want the F2.8.

Gosh I am the worst!! Sorry for the extreme delay on seeing this. I have the f/2.8 on the 70-200 but run the f/4 for my 24-70. The low light in the A7sII is unreal, but not 100% sure if it's exactly the same on the A7III or not.

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
im shooting on the a6500 and looking for the best video lens on a budget that is suited for recording hunting trips. also in the market for a highly recommended lightweight tripod for the same situation.

young7.3

WKR
im shooting on the a6500 and looking for the best video lens on a budget that is suited for recording hunting trips. also in the market for a highly recommended lightweight tripod for the same situation.

The guys at cameraland will set you up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Gosh I am the worst!! Sorry for the extreme delay on seeing this. I have the f/2.8 on the 70-200 but run the f/4 for my 24-70. The low light in the A7sII is unreal, but not 100% sure if it's exactly the same on the A7III or not.

No worries! I ended up skipping the 70-200 for now and picked up the 100-400 Sony G-Master, which is a lot of fun to shoot with.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just ordered from Joel - I also went with the 24-105. What a cool guy and a great place. Now, how the hell do I learn to use this thing? Jordan - any youtube videos or tutorials I should be watching?

Freaking late on this one too, sorry about that! For those Sony cameras watch videos from Matt Johnson on youtube. He goes through the entire menu system and explains each one and what he likes to use for video. Then he goes through and shows you how he sets up and how to setup the custom buttons. Helped me tremendously, I still go back and watch them sometimes just to brush up.

young7.3

WKR

I too have an A6500 and have been using this lens below for the last 3 months.
Amazon.com : Sony 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 E-Mount Lens : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo

Pros:
-Great telephoto lens for hunting
-full frame equivalent: 27 - 300 mm (more zoom)
-Image stabilization
-Fast focus
-Doesn't pick up noise focusing

Cons:
-It will naturally extend on its on if the lens is pointed down while walking/hiking. It does have a lock feature to prevent this (Not that big of an issue, just thought I should mention)
-Slightly heavy, but what telephoto isn't

I would recommend for an all around filming/photography lens for hunting.

Best lightweight tripod would be the Promaster XC525C. 9 layers of carbon, folds down to fit in a back pack andit has a 1 year no fault warranty that we extend to lifetime. One of the legs screws off to become a monopod. It is our #1 selling tripod. Normally $299.99, it's only $249.99 to forum members

What would be your guys suggestions as the first lens to get for a rifle hunter in South Island of New Zealand (i will be getting the Kit lens 28-70mm to start out with). Just about to order the Sony A7iii as my first Mirrorless/DSLR etc. Been running superzooms previously but looking to up my photo game

OP
G

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
What would be your guys suggestions as the first lens to get for a rifle hunter in South Island of New Zealand (i will be getting the Kit lens 28-70mm to start out with). Just about to order the Sony A7iii as my first Mirrorless/DSLR etc. Been running superzooms previously but looking to up my photo game

I've seen some examples of great pictures being taken with that kit lens. Get the camera and play with the kit lens to see what you think your missing. Do you want fast lens for low light, a larger zoom with some reach, wide angle for landscapes? Really depends on what your use will be. I have the Sony 24-105 F4 G, and the Sony 100-400 GM right now. Next on the list will be a faster wide lens. I'd like the Sony 16-35 F2.8 GM lens for long shuttler landscape and astro, but need to replenish the camera funds first.