Favorite lens setup for Sony mirrorless (Alpha Series) for video & stills

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Seems there are a handful of guys/gals using the Sony Alpha series cameras and I looking for advise for lens selection. I'm coming from a D500 with the APS-C sensor (which may be for sale is anyone is interested) and unfamiliar with full frame setups. What are your go to video and still pic lens choices? I've ordered the new Sony A7III and thinking of getting the 24-105 Sony lens for starting out. This should be a great all around still pic lens (not as sharp as a prime, but reviews looks good). More curious in regards to what is a good lens to carry on hunts for videoing(?) Appreciate any thoughts on this.....

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I totally agree with the 24-105 setup for that camera for video as well. I run a 24-70 and a 70-200. Ran a 24-105 for a really long time and I loved it for both video and pictures. With a camera that can shoot in 4K for video you can punch in closer than that 105mm and get a pretty descent all around archery lens. Especially if your the one carrying it all over the place. For rifle hunting you'll definitely want the 200mm or longer.

OP
G

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Should get the new A7III and 24-105 in the next few days from Joel @ cameraland. I'd like to add 2 more lens to my kit in the near future and thinking a short/fast prime and then either the 70-200 or the 100-400. Coming from a crop sensor, I was spoiled with the reach.

Jordan...are you running the F2.8 or F4 70-200? I understand the a7III's FF sensor is great in low light and I'd love to save some $$, but guessing I'll want the F2.8.

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
I just spoke with Joel and will be ordering the a73 as well. I need some options on lenses. I was thinking 24-105. then something else. What prime are you looking at?

OP
G

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
My A7III with the Sony 24-105 G F4 is being delivered tomorrow. I went back and forth with what lens to start out with. Though about that 24-70, which Jordan is shooting, but ended up going with the 24-105 after reading a ton of reviews.

For the prime...that Sony 35mm F1.4 is sweet, but $$$$$. I'm going to try and find a good deal on a used prime if possible...unless Joel has a fire-sale on something good.

This is a pretty cool site that reviews lens quality & sharpness: Camera Lens Database - DxOMark

Last edited:

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered from Joel - I also went with the 24-105. What a cool guy and a great place. Now, how the hell do I learn to use this thing? Jordan - any youtube videos or tutorials I should be watching?

young7.3

WKR
Glad to hear you all went with Joel. He helped me out with an A6500 and lens recently and I love it! Great service and excellent communication!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Should get the new A7III and 24-105 in the next few days from Joel @ cameraland. I'd like to add 2 more lens to my kit in the near future and thinking a short/fast prime and then either the 70-200 or the 100-400. Coming from a crop sensor, I was spoiled with the reach.

Jordan...are you running the F2.8 or F4 70-200? I understand the a7III's FF sensor is great in low light and I'd love to save some $$, but guessing I'll want the F2.8.
Not sure if the A7iii will be the same as the A7Rii was, but you can shoot in crop mode and get extended range on those with any lens you are running.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
G

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if the A7iii will be the same as the A7Rii was, but you can shoot in crop mode and get extended range on those with any lens you are running.

Yes, I believe you can. It's going to take a while to sort through the setup and learn the Sony menu. Tons of options..pretty cool.

IMG_4939-L.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes, I believe you can. It's going to take a while to sort through the setup and learn the Sony menu. Tons of options..pretty cool.

IMG_4939-L.jpg
I'm jealous lol

cochran53

FNG
For a pretty decent fast prime, the 85mm 1.8 gets a lot of really great reviews. If you want something a little bit wider, the 55mm 1.8 is still considered one of the sharpest lenses for the Sony system. Like everyone above, I'm going to be order the A7III too.

OP
G

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear you all went with Joel. He helped me out with an A6500 and lens recently and I love it! Great service and excellent communication!

I have to give a thumbs up to Joel for all his help and email communication with me. Had a ton of questions and emails, which were answered very quickly (even when he was traveling). Received a few unexpected order update calls from him as well, which was cool.

OP
G

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered from Joel - I also went with the 24-105. What a cool guy and a great place. Now, how the hell do I learn to use this thing? Jordan - any youtube videos or tutorials I should be watching?

There's a few being posted up, but here's one I came across that goes through setting up autofocus pretty well; SONY A7 III Autofocus Settings - A Complete Guide to the AF menu settings - YouTube

another Sony a7iii menu walkthrough for stills and video - YouTube

Last edited:
OP
G

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Just need to get out and shoot some pics now. I've got a good idea of the picture side of things, but the video side is a whole new game....

IMG_4980-L.jpg

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
I got the A7R2 for a steal when everyone went nuts over the R3. First lens I got for it was the 35 f/1.4. In 35yrs of taking photos and using cameras nothing has shot better pictures than that lens. Then I got a Batis 85; gorgeous! Sold that for a 90mm macro which I think is every bit as sharp as the Batis but the trade off is macro capability over autofocus. The Batis is far better at the latter but macro was more important to me. Just added the 16-35 f/4 because I needed a wide and short lens for the thing I'm most passionate about: beautiful trout on a fly at arm's length, resting in the water. I am in love. With. That. Lens. Super versatile and easy to carry. Only thing left I think is a 100-400 and maybe a fast 18 or 24.

young7.3

WKR
Rented the Sigma 16 mm, F/1.4 paired with my A6500. Very impressed with it. Will be picking one up soon.
75fe315d29c78d1a2ac53127f89254d1.jpg

f440c338e3fc1b71fd4b103ffe48e011.jpg
984715fe242298de08dc822e7510b839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looks like the canyon at Twin Falls