Video Cam for Alaska Dall Sheep and Caribou

LitenFast

WKR
Hey guys,

My Brother-in-law won a dall sheep float hunt up in the Brooks for this August at the western hunting expo last year. My father in law and I are lucky enough to tag along and try for Caribou.

I will doing what I can to help on the sheep hunt before I worry about getting a caribou, and I was thinking it would be really cool to try to film some of it. It’s pretty much a dream trip of mine heading in on a bush plane then the floating 40 miles while backpacking up into sheep country at appropriate spots for 2-3 days at a time. We will be out for 14 days.

What do guys in the know recommend for a video camera? Hoping to keep cost below $400 if possible, already have a lot of cash going into this trip and didn’t know if I could tag along till about a month ago so not a lot of time for saving up!

Battery life will be a big factor and weight is very limited at 50# for my gear.

I have looked up the twin camera from Panasonic with the nice 50x optical zoom 580 I think is the model.
Also looking at the Sony cx455 that looks like can have an external mic which seems like a good idea from what I have read.

Also thinking about getting a Gopro(maybe the hero 2018?) for some of the rafting and hiking parts.

My main goal is to have some footage to look back on and show my kids as my father in law will turn 69 while we are up there and it will be great memories. I like the idea of possibility put something together to throw up here on Rokslide or maybe YouTube but don’t know how likely that really is.

Thanks in advance!!!

RyanC

WKR
Congrats on the upcoming adventure....it's going to be a great trip. I don't have a ton of experience with different cameras but I know that you will want to document this trip as much as you can to look back on once you are back. In my opinion you will want something that takes great video and great still photos as well. You can look for a camera that does both like a dslr or a "bridge" camera or you can bring a dedicated video camera and a dedicated still photo camera. In trying to keep things simple and get one camera that does both for your price point I would take a hard look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. It has a great zoom lens, records in 4k, has a 1" processor, and 20+ megapixels for shooting still photos, all for a little over $500. The step up from that is the Panasonic Lumix FZ2500 but you'll pay close to $1k. I would also look into a digiscope adapter for your phone to take video and photos through the spotting scope. I use the Outdoorsmans adapter and it works great.

Regardless of what you choose, just make sure you take a lot of pictures and record a lot of footage. You will never say I wish I wouldn't have taken so many pictures or so much footage but I've said the opposite many times!!

Happy Hunting,

Ryan

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Only one under $400 is the Panasonic FZ80. FZ80 has 60x zoom and 4k video. FZ100 only has a 24 zoom. For sheep that 60x zoom will help lots. I haven't purchased yet, but on paper for the money it looks like the FZ80 would be the way to go.

Those are cameras, not camcorders. We can hook you up on a Sony Camcorder. Limit on the cameras is 29 minutes at a clip, while camcorders have no limits. Give me a call and we can discuss what works in your budget
Sounds like an amazing trip

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions guys, checked back a few times after posting but missed these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk