Contemplating expanding business to hunting, fishing, and outdoors photography

Lebeda33

FNG
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to photography (1.5 years of experience with DSLR cameras). I am now fully confident in my ability to use my camera well.

I have a passion for outdoor recreation (hunting/fishing) and I wanted to expand my photography business to include photo shoots for hunters and anglers. To start, I was thinking of photographing day to overnight hunting, fishing, and hiking trips.

As a hunter and angler, there are times that I wish someone was able to capture memories of me and my hunting buddies.

What do you think? Is this an idea that I should pursue? If so, what would you be willing to pay someone for a full day of photography while you were recreating in the outdoors?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Personally as just a regular guy who works a job and goes hunting in the fall, no I wouldn't pay for a photographer. Even though I know you'd take far better pictures than me or a buddy would. I just can't justify paying money for that.

Perhaps there's a market taking photos for hunters who are sponsored or guys looking for quality pictures for magazines and social media.

Personally as just a regular guy who works a job and goes hunting in the fall, no I wouldn't pay for a photographer. Even though I know you'd take far better pictures than me or a buddy would. I just can't justify paying money for that.

Perhaps there's a market taking photos for hunters who are sponsored or guys looking for quality pictures for magazines and social media.

The last paragraph is the kind of person you’re looking for. You want to enter the professional realm for business, advertising, sponsored hunters, or people that are putting out their own type of media that need good photos to go along with it, but might have not the time, skill, or equipment.

I assume you’re proficient in editing programs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Lebeda33

Lebeda33

FNG
Yes, I am proficient in the editing program that I use.

Thanks for the input. I wasn't thinking people would be interested for an everyday hunt (I couldn't afford that either), but possibly for a special hunt. Such as a kid's first hunt, first time and possibly only time hunting for a specific animal, etc.

Thanks again for the feedback.

OP
Lebeda33

Lebeda33

FNG
Any suggestions on how to gain experience/get into contact with sponsored hunters, and others interested in advertising?

I take photos every time I am recreating in the outdoors and I have the best photos for sale on my website. I am currently working on getting my photos up at cafes, coffee shops, etc.

Please keep in mind that I am working on growing my business part-time and I currently have a full time job.

Just from a quick look at your website, You don't have any pictures of the type you're trying to build your business around. I would try to start filling your portfolio with outdoor action shots first. You could go to a popular fishing spot and ask to take photos of fly fishermen doing their thing. Maybe some Mountain bike trails and do the same thing. Follow friends & family etc. There is a pretty big difference in nature photography (which you have some nice examples of) and outdoor documentary/action photography.

Reach out to some guys like Dirt Myth or Sam Soholt and ask how they got in the business. I think the ability to shoot video as well as Photos is probably a big help.

You are going to have a hard time finding someone who is willing to pay you while you fill out your portfolio with no sample work to show first.

If its something you are passionate about I think you should pursue it but always remember that there alot of dudes with a DSLR and photoshop that know what they are doing. You will have to work hard for opportunities and make sure you make the most of any opportunities that you do get.

Good Luck

OP
Lebeda33

Lebeda33

FNG
Thanks PantherCity. I appreciate your advice. I do need to bolster my portfolio. I like your idea of photographing fly fisherman. I live near a famous steelhead river (Clearwater River). Once the fishing picks back up this fall, I should have a good opportunity to photograph fly fisherman.

I am going on a solo overnight bear hunt this weekend and I am planning on taking some photos of myself with my tripod then. It's hard to get the type of photographs I want because I am usually hunting alone. I focused on nature photography at first while I was getting the basics down. Thanks again for your advice.

Here's a photo I took of my brother Chukar hunting last fall. Next fall when my dad and brother come out to hunt, I think I'm going to set aside my gun and just handle my dog and take photos. To me, it's a little blurry and not quite high enough quality for my website, but I think it's still a neat photo.
View attachment 71917

wesfromky

WKR
A couple kinda general bits of advice from a recovering, used to be, vocational* photographer.

1. Take some business classes - there are several out there that are focused on photography. Creativelive might be a good source.

2. Learn to develop your eye - a lot of your photos have a very snapshotish feel to them - you need to be able to stand out more then just the average person with a dslr. Check out "VisionMongers" and "Within the Frame", among others by David du Chemin. I am a big fan of Zack Arias as well. Jump on 500px and follow some photographers on instagram.

3. Totally immerse yourself in the work of outstanding photographers, bust ass, and rip your work apart until you totally feel it can stand in a Mangelsen gallery or Sitka catalog. A great photographer I know said to always pick portfolio photos when you feel the most worthless and beat down. Right after a big break up or personal failure is best. That way anything that is left will be good.

*Du Chemin talks about the difference between professional photographer and vocational photographer. While, I am no longer a vocational photographer (I like having money), I still like to think of my work as "professional", though it is mostly just shelter dogs these days.

OP
Lebeda33

Lebeda33

FNG
wesfromKY, thanks for your insight. I appreciate your constructive criticism. I checked out several of the photographers that you mentioned and I can definitely see a big difference between their work and mine. I am working on learning how to take a "photograph" versus a "picture" or "snapshot".

After 6 years of college I am a bit burnt out on taking formal courses right now, but I will keep an eye out for photography/business courses. I am also going to buy a couple of technical photography books that I think may help.