Packing camera(s) + gear for hunt

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Whether your on a single day or a multi-day hunt, how do you keep your gear organized/secure and accessible in your pack along with your other gear?

Interested to see how everyone configures their setup for different situations and please include what you are using;
camera + lens
accessories
pack

I haven't found a system I like 100% yet, but I think I'm getting closer. I bought an Exo 5500 recently so I can put some gear in the lid so it's easy to get to. The side pockets are big enough to hold a tripod easily so that's good. I recently ordered an eBay ripoff version of one of those Peak Design clips so I may well end up clipping my camera to one of my shoulder straps on my pack so I can get to it even faster, and then leave a few other things in the lid of my pack, but I'm not sure. Quick access in that way is one thing, but then mountain the camera on the tripod could be a huge pain in the butt. I've considered mounting my big lens on my tripod and leaving the camera on my shoulder strap, as the big lens has a mount for the tripod on the lens itself as opposed to the camera body, but then I'd need to put the original lens I take off the camera somewhere.

I think it's a curse having a lot of camera gear and always wanting good pictures but it's always worth it when you get home and see you've captured some great stuff. The times I enjoy my photography the most are when I'm with other people and therefore hunting a bit less and just taking photos of them hunting.

My go-to gear is as follows:
Olympus OMD EM1 MkII
12-40mm lens.
50-200mm lens (4/3 lens with adapter).
Velbon tripod.

I also have a Gopro and another couple of lenses but the other lenses have been staying at home more lately. One is a 14-150mm and the other is a 17mm.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good. I don't think there is or ever will be the perfect fit for. I usually pack way too much stuff and am trying to minimize what I really need. I found a video from Jordan Budd, where she talks about this exact question. It was useful to at least see the gear she used. But she made the point that camera bags aren't really suited for hunting.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much agree with everything Wlderlife said. I recently went to an Olympus EM5II I picked up off eBay with a few lenses. That was a huge help. Lots of capability in a much smaller package then a DSLR. With my Pentax I was hunting for a pack that would let me hold all my stuff and camera gear. Still not sure what the best way to keep the camera close at hand, but at least the rest isn’t taking up half a pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cochran53

FNG
Something that I have been playing around with is forcing myself to only take what I can fit in a camera cube (minus the tripod, of course). The one I have is the Topo Designs camera cube. I don't actually plan on using that for when I'm packing in my camera, but I'm trying to get creative with as little gear as possible. I haven't had much time to do this yet, but I will let you know how it goes.

My gear is as follows:
Exo 3500
Olympus OM-D E-M5 II
Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 lens
Slik CF-522 lite tripod

I am most commonly am doing 2-5 day backpacking trips. I always keep the camera with the 12-40 lens on my left shoulder strap in a peak design clip. I take 95% of my pictures with this setup. I keep the tripod stored in one of the side sleeves on my exo pack. I will keep a spare battery and sometimes a pancake prime lens in my hipbelt pouch. Any larger lenses, chargers, and other accessories I bring go in my pack lid.

jdk81

FNG
Generally, this is what our gear looks like. We run Kifaru packs because they are extremely versatile, and we can put pockets exactly where we want them. Tripods, lenses, bodies, etc.

My go to is running my primary DSLR is on a Peak Designs Capture Pro clip on the shoulder strap of my pack, and it can be moved to any pack. I run a 1200 cubic inch lid where I'll keep a couple go pros I want easy access to. If I'm my myself, or I'm filming by myself, I'll just run my Nikon D750 as my video rig. If I'm dedicated filming someone else I'll have my canon G30 on my tripod, which will be strapped to the side of my pack. Longer trips we may leave the video camera at home, the d750 is more than capable for the filming we do.

I use an ape case cubeez to store batteries and lenses generally. I also have a few batteries in my possible pouch, maybe one in my bino harness just in case. It's fairly easy to make room for stuff in this manor just make sure you have a bag for rain showers very handy.

That being said I can pack everything in a dry bag inside my main bag if needed, I just like to have it at the ready all of the time.

ridgerunner22

Lil-Rokslider
I just mount my DSLR w/a prime lens or short zoom on a shoulder strap with a Cotton Carrier. Otherwise it goes in the top of my pack. Lenses are either right in the top in a top loading bag or just inside the side zip if I'm running a bag w a side zip. I use Kifaru so I have a small pocket attached externally with spare cards, battery, filters and a lens cleaning kit. Seems to work pretty well.

My gear is as follows:
Exo 3500
Olympus OM-D E-M5 II
Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 lens
Slik CF-522 lite tripod

I am most commonly am doing 2-5 day backpacking trips. I always keep the camera with the 12-40 lens on my left shoulder strap in a peak design clip. I take 95% of my pictures with this setup. I keep the tripod stored in one of the side sleeves on my exo pack. I will keep a spare battery and sometimes a pancake prime lens in my hipbelt pouch. Any larger lenses, chargers, and other accessories I bring go in my pack lid.

I think this is the way I'm going to have to go. What forces me to second guess myself is how frequently/infrequently I use my tri[of. When I'm by myself, I use it fairly often as I like to take photos with me in the frame so the self-timer is a must. I was hunting just yesterday with my girlfriend though and I had the camera in my hands the whole time and only used the tripod briefly.

A pancake lens in a hip pocket is also another good idea.

Jimss

WKR
I really like the guide lid and large side pocks on a number of Kifaru bags. I use these for quick and easy access to camera gear, tripod, spotting scope, rain gear, extra shells, headlamp, water bottle, snacks, etc that I use on a regular basis while hiking. I almost always use super light dry bags for my camera/camcorder. Dry bags not only keep moisture off but also dust, dirt, and mud. If I'm spending the night I'll also use a dry bag with my sleeping bag.