Jpeg/raw/jpeg+raw

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
What format do you guys shoot in for editing in Lightroom?

What programs do you use for viewing RAW pics on MAC and PC?

Lebeda33

FNG
Hi Les,

I shoot in the RAW format. An image shot in the RAW format contains more data than a JPEG image. I always shoot and edit in RAW and then convert to JPEG afterwards. One downside to RAW is that the files are much larger than a JPEG, but that's because a "RAW" photo contains more data.

Currently, I can't afford and therefore, do not use Lightroom. In my opinion, if you would like to produce a high quality image, RAW is the best format to shoot in no matter what editing software you are using.

I use Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) for editing and viewing RAW images. It came free with the camera I bought. Someday I would like to upgrade to Lightroom though, I have heard a lot of good things about it.

Cheers,
Dalton

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
As already stated above, shoot in RAW for best post editing options. I use Lightroom on my Mac's.

wesfromky

WKR
I have only been shooting in jpg since I got my xpro2 a couple years ago. For what and how I shoot, I just don't notice any real difference, other then editing is way faster in lightroom. I have considered raw+jpg for some shoots, but just end up with jpg+jpg.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
With that RAW image you'll be able to push highlights/shadows more than you will with .JPG. Definitely a larger file, that's why you can also do JPG+RAW so you basically have 2 files everytime you shoot a picture, one in RAW and the other just a basic JPG. For viewing the RAW I just view them in Lightroom, but that could be another benefit of shooting in both formats.. You can quickly view and flip through the JPG versions. Just kinda depends what you want to do with them and how much you want to be able to edit.

colonel00

WKR
As stated RAW is the best for editing. Only time I differ is sometimes I shoot RAW+ just when I know I'm going to have a ton of vacation photos and I don't want to run everything through post processing (Lightroom).

I'm another one of the cheapo's without lightroom. I just run everything through the Olympus software. I shoot in RAW the vast majority of the time and then convert to jpeg later. The only time I shoot in jpeg is for a convenience factor to transfer straight to my phone or social media without converting.

Deepshax

WKR
I shoot RAW and edit in lightroom/PS; memory cards are cheap. Some moments you'll never get back

jspradley

WKR
I was shooting in JPEG + RAW and realized the JPEGs were useless so I switched to RAW only.

As was said before, memory cards and external HDDs are cheap...

I use Lightroom CC for editing, $10.00/month for the subscription with Lightroom and Photoshop.

wesfromky

WKR
Maybe it is just a Fuji thing. but I actually prefer the in-camera jpg conversion vs RAW and lightroom.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the comments everyone! I am slowly trying to pick up photo tips to learn to shoot better pics on Ryan and I’s hunts and this is greatly appreciated

kpk

WKR
I shoot in RAW also but I'm using Darktable to edit now. I was using Canon DPP but it's just a pain getting anything done with it. Darktable seems to work for me, and it's free. It doesn't have capability to stitch photos together though so I still use DPP for that.

Colvin

FNG
If I think there's a chance it's going on the wall or will be shared publicly (meaning, I need it to look as good as it can look), I'll shoot RAW every time. Typically if I'm on a trip I'll put it on RAW and forget it, and then post-process everything into JPEG when I get back. It's too cumbersome to switch back and forth between JPEG and RAW because you'll inevitably forget to switch back to RAW at some point. Editing in RAW gives you SO much more latitude in post-processing.

Also, not to be forgotten, it's really easy for Lightroom to make HDR photos if you use a tripod. Just take a few pictures with varying exposure and Lightroom will hook you up with great picture. RAW makes this even better.

If I'm just around the house and taking pictures of kids and dogs then I'm JPEG all the way, and probably not even the highest resolution.

Sorry, late to the game.

I shoot in RAW only, Nikon has a menu to convert a RAW to JPEG if I want to download it to my phone and then move it to Instagram or Facebook without running it through Photoshop or Lightroom first.

If I want to do some editing, then I have the RAW image to do that with and then convert it to JPEG for posting on the net.

For $10 a month you get the latest editions of Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge. Bridge lets you view your photos in large groups in RAW format.

I'll just echo what the others have already stated. I'm very new to photography (aerial specifically) but have found RAW to be the easiest in terms of editing. Shoot in RAW, edit, and save as .JPEG. Lightroom CC and Photoshop for $10/month is well worth it. I purchased the subscription for business use, so it may have been a little more difficult if it were solely for personal use.

Speaking of Lightroom, does anyone have some generic presets they'd be willing to share? I need to spend some more time on YouTube and learn more about using Lightroom.