What camera for a newbie?

fly1tie6

FNG
So I went on my first Western hunt in the middle of May to chase spring black bear in Montana. Unfortunately I can home with no bear but had an amazing time. I am now hooked. I managed to take several photos with my iPhone, a few turned out pretty decent and some turned out not as I had hoped. I am not real experienced with cameras and in no way consider myself a photographer. So I have now begun the quest to find a decent camera to use hunting, hiking, vacations etc. I would like to find something small, can handle the outdoors along with some cold weather, turn on quickly (this is a must), take a good picture and hopefully be pretty simple to operate. I don’t need or want the best camera on the market but something that I can hold onto for awhile and be happy with its quality. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to stay in the $500 to $800 dollar range if possible. Anything cheaper would be a bonus. Thanks all.

Steven C

FNG
I just went through the same thing. I called Joel @ Camera Land. They are a sponsor here. He asked a few questions and set me up with a Sony DSC-HX80. It’s small and has a 30X zoom. There’s 1 power button in a spot that’s easy to use but not going to get accidentally turned on. I’m not a photographer at all, but I wanted something better than my phone for hunting pictures. It will link to your phone and download your pics with Bluetooth if you want. I still need to do that I guess, just to know how. I’m still going to use my phone with my spotting scope because it’s too easy to do. The camera is also supposed to take great video. It was somewhere around $350 with a extra battery shipped. Give them a call they will answer any questions you have and won’t sell you something you don’t need. Whoever first answered the phone said “you want to talk to Joel about cameras and Doug for optics. The last camera Doug sold used film”. I thought that was funny as hell.

Last edited:
Happy to help out. In the point and shoot, go in your pocket, that's a great choice. The budget you are talking about you can get a camera with interchangeable lenses. Many good options to choose from. Sony A6000, Canon M50, Fuji X-A5, Olympus OM-D EM-10MK2. Those cameras offer more versatility and endless lens options. Best to give me a call. I am here today until 5:30 and tomorrow from 9:30-5:30
Let me know if I can be of any help