Red foxes!

Anyone bowhunt red foxes over there? Great fun in the off season. You can whistle then in or hunt them spot and stalk like these ones. They can be very crafty sometimes!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Foxes are a hoot to bowhunt. Fun and challenging. Also make nice fur keepsakes.
Ive arrowed a few. I really like the black ones "silver fox." They are really a color phase red.

Bowhunting predators is a a blast. Also a good excuse to get out and hunt in the winter.

Craig4791

WKR
Cool pics guys! Are you guys setting up with a predator call in a blind or treestand?

OP
mallacootasmoothie
Awesome pics justin! Are you calling them in?

Craig4791, if I'm going to call for foxes I just kneel down infront of some brush. They are extremely aware of any movement and scent (what isn't!). I'll then call using either a button whistle or a home made tenterfield whistle which are both rabbit in distress calls. You can also call them in from close range by making a kissing sound with your mouth.
I also love hunting them spot and stalk and after spotting a fox out hunting I will either position my self near their possible path and hope they come to me or my favorite is glassing them while they sleep in the sun. They have a real bad habbit of curling up in the sun and dozing off, which if the grass isn't too long has seen me spot them from 500m away and stalk in to 20m sometimes.

These pics are great, that's the first bow killed fox I've seen. Foxes are kind of a rare occurrence where I live. I did catch a grey this year! First one I've ever heard of being taken here!( there's plenty in OR, just not where I live.) Kind of a nice treat for this area!
Justin that silver is super nice!

yea I call them in. On the ground. Just using mouth calls. I'm sure a electronic caller would be awesome for bowhunting. I don't have one thou so stuck with mouth calls.

Heres a Grey fox. They are cool. Small and almost cat like.

The keep sakes.

OP
mallacootasmoothie
Some predators from this year.

VY9O0c8.jpg

nwLEM5G.jpg

Pramo

WKR
I bowhunt them in during the winter and have taken a 1/2 dozen or so. Usually from a treestand so its a little easier to draw on the them and with a predator call and an old stuffed animal as a decoy.

No good grip and grins but here is one I shot a year or two ago, nice thing from a treestand is they don't go far.

attachment.php