Wolf meat?

Mtnboy

WKR
I've seen my fair share dead and helped skin a few, I wouldn't eat one.

I respect the ethics though, but I don't find it non-ethical at all to kill a predator or fur bearer and not eat it.

That said, I'd eat a bear. Mountain Lion, maybe, maybe not.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
Mountain lion is some of the best meat i have ever had. With that said, you will not catch me eating a wolf.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I've had dog in Thailand and was surprised by the taste, worth a shot if you cook it thoroughly

jwb300

WKR
I'd try it and I imagine any of the dog eating cultures would offer some recipe options. I respect your ethics. Now I wonder how horse would cook up, now there is a freezer full with one of them American Love pets.

Horse is fine. Lots of wild horses (brumbies) and donkeys here that get shot and eaten or taken for pet meat.

I've eaten black bear, mountain lion, lynx, horse, beaver, hell prolly dog even at one point... But after being around skinned wolves there isn't a snowman's chance in hell I would ever eat one. Same goes with a grizzly/brown bear, those smell like total shit too. lol

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
I've had lion sausage; a wolf without a hide doesn't look too much different and black bears have feet bones that look human.
Bear I'll keep eating, and I'll do lion out of respect for my friend who serves it in gravy over biscuits, but I'll pass on the wolf meat.

I disagree with the ethic that you must eat anything you kill. Different animals serve different purposes when hunted. Do you utilize the hide of every deer and elk that you kill? Most people don't, at best they take it to a recycling center in exchange for a pair of gloves. The reason nobody has a problem with wasting a deer or elk hide is because the primary utility of those game animals is their meat. The primary utility of a fur bearing animal such as a wolf or coyote is its fur. If you are using the animals you kill then there should be no ethical dilemma whether you are using it for food or fur.

I eat the bears I kill and I ate the mountain lion I killed. I would probably at least try some wolf meat just for the experience but I will feel no remorse when the majority of the wolf meat is left on the hill.
Exactly!

It's ok to shoot things and not eat them and it's important. Like gophers and praire dogs. They destroy the range! But after a 22-250 smacks them there isn't much left. Coyotes are another one. You can't kill too many of those things! Gotta do your part in conservation and stack them up. Keeps the mange down and helps your deer and bird populations. Obviously shooting things that are eatable and wasting the meat isn't even legal like in Montana. I dunno, I never understood this concept. To each his own I guess.

KJH

WKR
I'll try anything once.

I think any bear is as nasty as it gets and I can't stomach the thought of trying to eat one unless I was starving. When people tell me they like bear I start to question their ability to taste and smell. Wolves are in the same category, I think. I've never tried one mostly because its never crossed my mind. I guess I shoud try one before I make a judgement.

I don't belive that you need to eat everything you kill, and the others made the points why. I've had racoon, muskrat, beaver, etc and its always been fine. I still wouldn't fill the freezer with them once I skin them.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I can almost guarantee that anyone who says they would try it has never skinned one

^^^ This. I could probably eat skunk before wolf. They can stink up an open truck bed in winter. It would be like eating dog turds.