Wolf meat?

OP
freebird134
Well if I get one trapping this year maybe I will keep some meat and throw it in the smoker (if I get it finished by then), just to give it a try. If I can eat rodents (squirrel), then I guess I can man up and take a bite of this?

Do it!!!!!!!!!! Good luck and report back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny how Idaho department of fish and game actually prints a warning suggesting you wear gloves while skinning wolves and warning about parasites, I'm all for eating what you kill in most cases but wolf is a kill for population control purposes only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a wolf, skinned it out and threw it in the box on the back of a four wheeler that was on a trailer behind the truck. We could still smell the damn thing even as we were driving down the highway. Every bit of meat stayed in the bush.

MtGomer

WKR
I've killed a wolf each of the last two years. They are disgusting, rancid animals. Can barely stand skinning them.

As for the 'I don't kill things I don't eat'.... thats a whole 'nother topic.

I too would be happy to pack a backstrap or something out for anyone wanting to try one, If I'm so lucky as to get one again.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I am both sides of this one. It is funny how we will put tags on certain animals on nothing more than perception. I've done bear, and lion and can't fathom a wolf being a bigger risk to eat other predators. They do carry Hydatid parasites that doesn't seem to be on other predators that I have heard of.
Chindits- I have a Marine buddy that tried horse in France. Said the flavor was pretty good, but tougher than most meat he's had.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a snowballs chance in hell am I putting wolf meat anywhere near my mouth. This is the foulest smelling thing I’ve ever come across. If anyone wants to try it though, I’ve got some fresh never frozen. You will be required to record your reaction though haha.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve washed my hands twice and taken a shower, I still smell like wolf. Nasty...

excaliber

WKR
I don't know anyone who's killed a Wolf with a bow. I've seen a couple pictures of them killed by archery hunters though. I've seen one Wolf in all the years I've lived here and never had a chance for a shot.

Anyone with experience eating a wolf? I don't shoot things I can't eat. If I arrowed a wolf, I'd have to eat it. Wolf burger? Anyone?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know anyone who's killed a Wolf with a bow. I've seen a couple pictures of them killed by archery hunters though. I've seen one Wolf in all the years I've lived here and never had a chance for a shot.

Brian aka Gritty Bowman killed one with his bow awhile back. He and Aron were elk hunting and called a pack in while bugling. IIRC, someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:

I stalked this one and three others while they were howling late one night this past season, killed him with my bow at 40 yards. Unreal experience and I cannot wait to try again should the opportunity present itself.

attachment.php

elkguide

WKR
Have eaten a lot of different meats like rattle snake, woodchuck (ground hog), many bears, horse, cats, pigs and the like. Must say that the antelope and mule deer that were feeding on sage were some of the worst tasting, along with a garbage/dump eating bear. Truly depends a lot on what they were eating. Some of the best game meat that I ever ate was a bear that had lived in a corn field. (farmer thanked me for shooting him and said that the bear had destroyed over 20 acres of his corn)

My father was an "eat what you shoot man," hence the woodchuck and my first kill, a chipmunk. (sure was hard to skin and gut that little fellow!) That being said, after skinning coyotes and being around dead wolves, I would draw the line there. The Hydatid parasite is also a big concern to me.

Still to each their own. ENJOY!!!!!!

Nick, Big Congrats on the wolf with your bow! All I've done is miss three with the bow so far. A wolf is on my list of critters I'd like to arrow, along with a lynx.

Shot my first wolf this fall. Finished skinning her head and tail back at camp, threw the meat in the fire it actually smelled pretty good cooking in there.
I'm thinking maybe make some sausage?

I’ve killed plenty of coyotes but only eaten one. It wasn’t bad, fajitas. I may or may not eat one again, maybe with one of the grandkids we’ll cook one up.

When I get a chance at a wolf, I will definitely try it out. I have no problem with people who don’t eat varmints. Meat is meat...