Wolf meat?

Anyone with experience eating a wolf? I don't shoot things I can't eat. If I arrowed a wolf, I'd have to eat it. Wolf burger? Anyone?

Craig4791

WKR
lol I wouldn't even think about it! You'd be cooking a chunk of parasites basically....

charvey9

WKR
Health wise, it would be no different than eating any other predator like bear, mountain lion, etc. In fact pork shares many of the same parasite concerns as predators, and we eat that every day. I have never had wolf, but have had bear, bobcat, and coyote. Would just need to make sure it has been cooked thoroughly. Wouldn't hesitate to try wolf if I ever put one down, although I can't really give you any pointers on how to cook it.

Check out the episode of Meat Eater where Rinella BBQ's a coyote.

PNWGATOR

WKR
There was a gentleman on one of the other forums that shot one and saved the backstraps. He put a post up with pics and was amazed how delish they turned out on the grill. Said he wished he'd kept the entire critter.

OP
freebird134
It's funny how quick people are to say "eww gross" but have never tried it.

I'm probably more pro-wolf than the average elk Hunter, but if the opportunity arose I might arrow one. I'd have to eat it...or at least try...just my personal ethics. I imagine I could always make jerky or sausage.

I disagree with the ethic that you must eat anything you kill. Different animals serve different purposes when hunted. Do you utilize the hide of every deer and elk that you kill? Most people don't, at best they take it to a recycling center in exchange for a pair of gloves. The reason nobody has a problem with wasting a deer or elk hide is because the primary utility of those game animals is their meat. The primary utility of a fur bearing animal such as a wolf or coyote is its fur. If you are using the animals you kill then there should be no ethical dilemma whether you are using it for food or fur.

I eat the bears I kill and I ate the mountain lion I killed. I would probably at least try some wolf meat just for the experience but I will feel no remorse when the majority of the wolf meat is left on the hill.

mt100gr.

WKR
We visited the site where we skinned a wolf last year about ten days after leaving the carcass. Nothing had been touched. Even the other wolves wouldn't eat wolf meat....

Tuscor

FNG
My mate has eaten fox (european red fox) and swore it was the tastiest meat he'd ever eaten. The eat dog all through asia... which are basically domesticated wolf decendents... so knock yourself out.

Just make sure you cook it well (no rare wolf steaks). I'd say burger or stew of well cooked backstrap.

boom

WKR
oh hell yes!!

i would try it. i bet it is very close to BEAR meat..completely guessing here. haha..i would do a low and slow braise..cook it for a few hours in a curry base. i could eat a rutty old goat in curry..a wolf would be cake. and if the urban legends are even remotely true..you gain a bit of the strength of the animal..it wouldnt suck. :)

chindits

WKR
I'd try it and I imagine any of the dog eating cultures would offer some recipe options. I respect your ethics. Now I wonder how horse would cook up, now there is a freezer full with one of them American Love pets.

hodgeman

WKR
I skinned a wolf yesterday. I would probably eat it as a last resort to starvation...but it'd be close and I better have enough siracha to burn out my taste buds.

For those who've never skinned a wolf, the smell is simply unbelievable. I've skinned rutty bull, bears, foxes, coyote, lynx, all manner of weasels and a rotten beaver and nothing even comes close to the stench off a wolf.