CA wild pig hunting

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't know where else to post this so I'm putting it under this forum. I'm headed out to Camp Parks near Dublin CA this January for a few weeks for work. I was wanting to maybe take a few days on the back end of my trip (19th -22nd) to try and capitalize on a wild pig archery hunt. Being a completely foreign adventure to me, can someone with some experience give me guidance. I've got the information on licenses/tags. What I'm looking for is an area to hunt. I'm not asking for anyones secret spot here, just a general area I can go. Any info would be helpful!

MattB

WKR
95% of pigs killed in CA are taken on private land, so you'd be best suited to enlist the assistance of a guide or somewhere you can get on with a trespass fee.

Where's Dublin? If it's in SoCal, look up Tejon Ranch and see if there's any group hunts in that time frame.

FreeRange

WKR
Fort hunter liggett is no secret spot for pigs, it's tough hunting but absolutely one of the most beautiful spots in the state you can hunt. There are some hoops to jump through but is pretty easily sorted out. Still tough hunting but there are archery only areas that can produce. The best thing about FHL is that it's not your typical arid scrubland that so much of the coastal public lands seem to be, it was the private ranch of the Hurst family and was transfered to the army. It feels every bit like you're on an expansive private ranch. Other suggestions would be camp Roberts and lake Sonoma, neither of which I have hunted but there is lots of info available online for both. Lastly if you qualify to hunt Vandenberg that base holds pigs though game populations are down the past few years I hear. It sees less pressure than any of the above mentioned spots due to restrictions on access.

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I've been to FHL a few times.. I love it there, but I never had the opportunity to hunt. Dublin is in between San Fran and Stockton. I initially thought of driving down to FHL to hunt but was going to try something a little closer if possible. I did some research on guided hunts but for crying out loud they want upwards of $600 to kill a pig! I think that is asinine! It looks like Vandenberg is a bit south and maybe too far to drive. Lake Sonoma is a good possibility. Pig hunting is foreign to me so any suggestions on tactics would also be appreciated.

I cannot divulge any specifics (sworn to secrecy) but there are bodies of water near you that offer exceptional boar hunting in places only accessible by boat. Camping available too...only by boat. Take your packraft or rent one. You'll have to do your own homework from here.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
You can hunt frank Raines park which is in the hills to the east of dublin. I think you need a permit though. Everything else is pretty much 2 or 3 hrs away. Los Padres NF had pigs and probably closer then fhl for you or go up north to Sonoma lake or lake berryessa. Lots of fire up there now. Check out the caldfw site they list some places to start.

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I left a message with the regional biologist to see what direction he can point me in.

I cannot divulge any specifics (sworn to secrecy) but there are bodies of water near you that offer exceptional boar hunting in places only accessible by boat. Camping available too...only by boat. Take your packraft or rent one. You'll have to do your own homework from here.

Bruce has seen pigs on public land. But the fact is that public land pig hunting is a tough prospect, even for knowledgeable, experienced hunters. If your serious about it, you need to be willing to put the time in to find a good spot the pigs use, then you need to really get to know the area, including the animals. In short, it's an investment in time, boot leather, and money (you have to get there and back numerous times). The good news is that you have several places reasonably near you. Have a good chat with the biologist, and then be prepared to burn up some boot leather. Lake Sonoma and FHL are good go to places for archery, with some of the highest odds for public lands, but don't expect success to come easy.

Best of luck!

Bruce has seen pigs on public land. But the fact is that public land pig hunting is a tough prospect, even for knowledgeable, experienced hunters. If your serious about it, you need to be willing to put the time in to find a good spot the pigs use, then you need to really get to know the area, including the animals. In short, it's an investment in time, boot leather, and money (you have to get there and back numerous times). The good news is that you have several places reasonably near you. Have a good chat with the biologist, and then be prepared to burn up some boot leather. Lake Sonoma and FHL are good go to places for archery, with some of the highest odds for public lands, but don't expect success to come easy.

Best of luck!

Proof Bubble is NOT full of stuff Matadors step in.

Pmn86

FNG
Any other guide/outfitters for central CA that you guys recommend (From personal experience)? Specifically guides familiar with bowhunting hogs.