ANyone use decoys, scents, anything but sound when calling?

mcseal2

WKR
Just curious how many people use a decoy or other attractant besides calls when calling predators. I almost always do anymore, always when going solo. Part of the reason is I almost always use an electronic call of some sort even if I primarily call with the mouth calls. I figure if I'm going to step out into the open to set the call up, I may as well set the decoy and scent up then also.

Using mouth calls for prey sounds I think I get more responses than using the prey sounds on the electronic calls I've tried. I got busted moving to run the mouth calls though often enough I decided I needed to change something. Coyotes can zero in on a sound so well that they were able to spot me moving to run the call while still under cover before I spotted them to much of the time. I'd see a flash of movement as they left. 90% or more of my coyote hunting is done mid December through spring when coyotes have been educated pretty well already.

Now even when going light and running mouth calls I use a decoy, usually a Mojo Critter with the extension pole to add height and visibility. I put an old Lohman Invisi-Predator AA call a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes next to the decoy. It has a little 4 button remote that has a rabbit call about like FoxPro's Baybee cottontail. If I see a yote coming in and he stops, I hit that call so he can lock in on it and the decoy rather than me. It also has a coyote sound on it, about like a group locator howl on the newer calls, that can help stop a running coyote after the first shot if more than one respond. This seems to increase my success and let me get away with the necessary movement to get my gun on a coyote.

When running the electronic FoxPro I always run the decoy, I figure I will carry the call out into the open so I may as well put the decoy up then too. The advantage of not entering the open ground is already given up, just as well make the most of it. I often use a mouth call for the first couple series and then use the electronic if nothing has shown. I have started using the electronic call to play the wind more also. On windier days I'll set the call so the wind can help carry the sound into the area I want to call, then back off to the side enough that my wind isn't blowing into the cover. I try to set up where there is a natural path for the coyotes to come straight at the call from downwind to help steer them to it. I put a little Coyote Juice attractant coated cotton ball next to the call/decoy too to add scent to the mix. Doing this I need coyotes to come closer to the call to get a sure shot. The one I shot last night was only probably 40yds from the call, but the shot was 154yds from where I was.

Calling with the wind in my face I don't worry about the scent as much in many scenarios. I'm usually closer to the call and where I can see the downwind side. I take the shot before the coyote reaches the point it can wind me.

I've been calling more low country and worrying less about having elevation in my favor also. I think coyotes are just as lazy as the rest of us and would rather not have to work to hard for dinner. A rabbit downhill sounds tastier than one they have to climb for. Also it makes getting my stuff set up much less likely to get spotted than if I'm doing it up high.

I just ordered a coyote silhouette decoy to try this mating season. I've never used one before and would appreciate any tips or experiences others have with them. I won't use it all the time I'm sure, but want to try it for this time of year. I can strap it to my J34 Eberlestock pretty easy and pack it in with the rest of the crap I take in. Sometimes I think I should scrap it all and go back to a lanyard of mouth calls, a rifle, and shooting sticks. I kill more now than I did that way though so I don't.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
And tonight I went out again. A little before 4 I heard several howl as I was getting ready to set up on one side of the road. They were about 3/4 of a mile away on the opposite side of the road, still where I could hunt. I went back to the truck and moved closer. I had where they were picked out, but busted two walking into position, they had moved closer. I called anyway and got one coyote to show up at 265yds but didn't try the shot and he disappeared, never saw him again. I had the 20" 223 AR and hoped he'd come closer and offer a higher percentage shot. He never reached a spot where he could see the decoy. I tried another spot where I'd heard another one, and busted one setting up there also. I probably would have got that one if I'd just mouth called from the cover on top of the hill and not set up the call and decoy. No plan is perfect! I have a new plan for next time I hunt there though, call from the opposite side of the ridge and don't try to get close. They will be on that side next time and it won't work either now! Just have to keep trying.

Tonight where I heard everything howl from was up high on the hills. I might have had better luck if I'd come in low and never skylined myself but with limited time and a changed plan I took the short route. I keep learning.