Favorite winter camo?

Kotaman

WKR
I have two sets and like them both:

*Gray Wolf Woolens Wolfskin Predator Winter White Jacket and Bibs.
*Kings Snow Shadow Jacket and Bibs.

Both work excellent and you disappear at a distance with both snow camo patterns.

Also have a set of "cover ups" in Nat Snow Camo that work great early and late season.

So far my winter camo is the same as my fall camo. I use ASAT. During the fall I wear kanabs, during the winter I use north branch pants. Layer according to the weather and use my rain jacket as my outer shell.

Opah

WKR
I guess I am the Cheepo of the bunch, used the painters cover alls for years, super light weight folds down to a little thing, helps retain heat and easy to put on in the field with your boots and cold weather stuff on. and they are very cost effective

OP
Davebuech

Davebuech

WKR
Thanks guys for all your comments.

I guess what I am really looking for is a cover up. I have plenty of warm layers, camo and non camo, including some insulated pieces. Staying warm is usually not too much of an issue. Instead of buying dedicated pieces in snow camo, I was hoping for something to throw on over my "normal" stuff.

Opah, I'm cheap too! Hence the Military Surplus Snow poncho.

Justin. I presume the your rain jacket then is ASAT?

Sodbuster

WKR
I just layer up with my good stuff and have several light weight jackets and pants cover sets. My favorite was a mesh one, it last several years and was cheap.

Jimss

WKR
White tyveks suits are super light and compact. Be careful with them around brush..it rips them apart.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a white garbage bag before, but normally I just wear the same camo (kings desert shadow) I wear all year long.

Movement is infinitely more important than what you're wearing

I just use a Norwegian, or Finnish (or some Scandinavian country that I cannot remember since I have had it so long) white smock, that zips over my down coat. It has worked fine for years.

Wore Nat Gear for a week at elevation in Utah during a rippin' wind-driven snowstorm. Love their bib/jacket and glove combo. Affordable and reliable.

mrjohn12

FNG
For Alaska winter hunting during caribou season I would have a 22 Hornet handy for close range a 243 Win for long range varmints or caribou. When caribou season was over, I always chose to take the Hornet on the snowmachine.

This winter I am using the new FN 5.7x28mm pistol on the trap line as my close in varmint gun and the AR-15 with a 223 Rem barrel for varmints at long range.

Last edited:
Used my German Flectarn Goretex shell and bibs this year. More for the Goretex/waterproof/wind stopping ability, than camouflage nature of the items. I was darn glad to have them. I actually like the pattern though.

I got caught in a bit of a nasty storm in December on a late cow elk hunt. The temps dropped fast and the wind came on hard. Visibility dropped to yards at one point.

You could hear the branches snapping on the trees. I did not see anything really big fall though.

Not knowing the extent of the storm,I had to take shelter in a draw for a bit behind a big rock and ride it out, to be . It does not take long to get chilled when you are not moving.

xHM83iz.jpg

I took a couple of "selfies" and semi jokingly told my wife that the reason I did so was that due to the severity of the weather, if I froze to death, I would have photographic evidence of the "why", so people would not wonder what happened to me, since I spend so much time in the mountains of the area, it is not like I got "lost"

After the storm cleared and I was coming down off the mountainside I ran into Mr. Wiley at about 325 ish:

Fk3LeDY.jpg

Gotta love the Rockies!

mcseal2

WKR
I'm another ASAT fan. When it's snowy though I usually use either Cabelas MT50 bibs (dry snow) or Helly Hennsen Impertech bibs (wet snow) instead of my ASAT Obsidian pants. They are both in the Cabelas Outfitter camo. I have an ASAT Sawtooth, North Branch, and SEAK to use on the top half depending on the weather.

Hunting in our dead grass the ASAT blends in as well as anything, even with some snow.

I’ve had good luck with the Kuiu Vias bottoms and Predator grey Camo tops I almost alway tuck next to a bush and haven’t been spotted (yet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk