Lighter weight AR upper

Hey all,

I'm looking for a lightweight upper for my AR. I have a 20 inch stainless bull barrel currently. Looking for something that is a little more carry friendly, but is still accurate. Thoughts? Mike

JWP58

WKR
Alexander arms claims their 18" lightweight upper 6.5 grendel is 4.3lbs. Are you looking at only 223/556?

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
Elkfitness

Try a RRA 18" ATH upper. It's a lot lighter than my RRA 20" SS bull barrel and it will be a tack driver - mine is.
Sorry. Partial to RRA since they are a few miles away.

husky390

WKR
c0c55c36076a4235df1d10b13f8c9c38.jpg

I bought this kit awhile ago. I'm pretty happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

husky390

WKR
Just a thought, but if you're just looking for a plinker, you can buy the Ruger AR556 or S&W for less than what I paid for that kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elkfitness
Thanks for the replies. Looking to not go much over $600 for the upper. I think I can sell my 20" upper for 450ish and want to stay within $200 net for a lighter upper. I'll check out the rock river upper and see what they have on sale, and the PSA ones too.

Roy68

WKR
Sent you a pm

I'll vouch for RRA as well but mine are not their lightweights so no experience with those.

Last edited:

matthewmt

WKR
Just go 16" maybe a BCM enhanced​ light weight upper.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a lightweight upper get a lightweight barrel from any brand that fits your budget and use a magpul handguard instead of a rail. Those two items account for pretty much all of the actual and felt (swinging barrel) weight. Like a stabilizer, the farther away from the pivot point (your shoulder) the weight is the more you'll feel it.

I would personally recommend building one yourself if you have access to a torque wrench for the barrel nut. The rest of the upper can be assembled with a crescent wrench and something to drive the pins in (punch/channel locks). If you get a gas block that uses set screws or is clamped by socket head screws they usually provide the needed allen key. There's tons of how to videos online and it's a fun afternoon project!