lets talk callers...

just got back from archery elk...the area was THICK with song dogs.
going to go back out with the .243 after the rifle season over there and through the summer scouting time and double up on scouting and coyote hunting.
with that..looking to get my first caller.
What do all of you experts recommend?
budget...150 ish..
Thanks!

Davebuech

WKR
LOL we saw a coyote chasing after 2 nice Muley bucks the other day and were thinking the same thing. They don't see much hunting pressure where up there.

I am very happy with my Fox Pro Banshee. My friend has the Inferno and he likes it as well. I think they both use the same remote.

Check out Allpredatorcalls.com Good prices and customer service

Beendare

WKR
IME, its important to have a unit that can project some volume as a little bit of wind kills the distance these project the sound. All of the small cheaper units I've seen are weak in the sound projecting category.

I have a foxpro hellfire (with the mojo decoy) and its loud without distortion.

CaseyU

WKR
I have used a bunch of them and I would buy the fox pro. I'm not being biased just. Going off my personal experience and I know they made some very nice budget friendly callers. Good luck out there. If I can give you any advice. It would be start off with low volume, work your way up. Be patient and for goodness sake don't move. With all that said and your buying an e caller, so there is no need to put the call 15 feet from you. ;) seems like common sense... but back on up away from that call and you will get away with a lot more

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in this topic as well, not to hijack the OP. I have been leaning the way of the Primos Alpha Dog or Boss Dog, looking at them nearly daily at Cabelas across the street from my house and cant decide...........I see no one has recommended either of these. Is there something I'm missing? Im planning on using for Coyote/Bobcat mainly with ability to use for Mountain Lion if I can ever get somewhere its legal to use.

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I have 1 friend with the alpha dog and 1 with the boss dog. The all ha dog the legs broke when it was well below freezing this past winter( plastic legs you unfold get brittle in the cold and in a hurry to set up). The boss dog was really heavy and he won't carry it a real long ways. They both sound pretty good though. I have the fox pro fusion (more than your stated budget though) and the sp 60 speaker to add to it when the wind is really howling and I need more distance for the caller. They agree my set up is easier and louder when I add the extra speaker. We also think the remote range is better. Just my .02 cents.

Stick with FoxPro, Lucky Duck, or Icotec. There's a big used market for FoxPros, don't overlook it. Banshees go for under 200 pretty often. Lucky Duck just came out with a budget model. I run the Revolution and it's awesome. Really killer sound library, and the sound quality is excellent. Called in 18 coyotes with it so far this year, and still on the first set of batteries. Icotecs are great value as well. I'd buy it from Tony Tebbe and get his sound library on it. Outside of those three, I think the rest are gimmicky junk and don't have great sound libraries.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Not much to add other than another vote for foxpro's fusion and buying a used one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I have an Alpha Dog and just never learned to love the remote it has. The sounds are really good. I won a Fox Pro Prairie Blaster 3 and use it almost all the time I'm not using mouth calls. I like the FoxPro 1000 series remote really well. It just seems quicker and easier to use so I spend more time looking for coyotes instead of at my remote. It's not a $150 call, it's higher but FoxPro makes cheaper ones. It has great sound and is very loud but it's heavy and bulky too. If I was buying one I'd likely pick a different model, this one fills most of the main pocket on my Eberlestock X3. I bought the FoxPro 2 button Fox grip to go on my shooting sticks and love that addition. I have button 1 on a mouse squeak and button 2 on a pup distress. That way I can adjust to most situations after I have a visual on the coyote without needing my remote, just glance down to where my forward hand is and hit a button.

The big advantage to the e caller to me is I can set it far enough in front of me a coyote can approach from directly down wind of the call without being down wind of me. I have a pill bottle with cotton balls soaked in Coyote Juice taped to the stake for my decoy that seems to confuse their nose long enough for them to stop and give me a shot before they catch any scent from where I walked in to set the call most times. The downside of my method is a coyote can spot you walking out to set the call and decoy, have your stuff organized before breaking cover so you can minimize the time you are exposed setting up.

Does anyone have any experience with the Foxpro Deadbone? It's their entry level call at @ $100. It's only got 15 sounds and you cannot add sounds to it, but you can play 2 at once. It seems like it'd be a good place to start?

Jackalope

FNG
Don't under estimate hand calls either. I've had good luck with the verminator brand calls. No batteries and you can stick one in a stock pack or hang a handful around your neck. Not to mention they're about $12 each.

The Foxpro Shockwave is the best call on the market today. I still have my original Fury that I bought years ago but it's just a backup now. The remote on the Shockwave is amazing - very easy to use one-handed and very easy to use all the features that come with unit. That alone is worth the cost. Sound quality is terrific and volume is great. Plus, the direction speakers really come in handy.

Just as important as the unit itself, are the sounds. These days if you're competing with other people calling in the same area, the Foxpro sounds are pretty well known to a lot of dogs. I use mostly Tony Tebbe sounds these days because educated dogs aren't familiar with them. Since switching to them a couple years ago, my success rate went up almost 20% in pressured areas.

I just got a Johnny Stewart Bloodhound. I had a gift card to Roger's, and they had them clearenced to $75. I figured it was cheap, had plenty of sounds, and they weren't FoxPro sounds. Headed out now to give it a go.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Primos calls are OK, had a turbo dog and it stopped working one day for no apparent reason, customer service was crap

Bought a Foxpro and never looked back, also use some custom hand calls that , sent are great, sent ya a PM about em

I use Karver hand calls with a lot of sucess, called in a robert kitty just last friday with the Rabbid Rabbit hand call.

FoxPro is the way to go. I’ve been using them for years and tried most of the brands out there but always returned to FoxPro. The Shockwave is incredible here in Texas. It’s a little heavy to carry in your hand for long distances but it fits great in a little pack of mine if I have to walk a long way. The FoxBang feature is terrific for getting a 2nd or even 3rd coyote. They also have a sequence builder where I can build sound sequences including breaks so that I can push play and sit back until I need a coaxer. It sure cuts down on movement and keeps eyes focused on scanning instead of on the remote. Also, I like watching the barometric pressure on the remote for the ShockWave - higher pressures and increasing pressures always mean better movement in my areas.

The caller is less important than the sounds. Especially if you hunt public land. Luckily, I’ve got more private land than I can handle but getting away from FoxPro sounds that EVERY caller has is a huge advantage and will seriously increase your numbers. That’s one reason mouth calls are often most successful - nobody blows one the same way so it sounds realistic. Tony Tebbe has the best sounds I’ve ever used. I did some hunting with him years ago and his calling is simply amazing - a real coyote whisperer. He used to send me discs with MP3s but now he sells sounds. Although, I think he has SOME sounds he still gives away. I signed up for his lifetime sound pack a couple years ago and it got me his whole library and he’s always adding sounds - you get those updates for free, for life. PredatorUniversity.com

Between the FoxPro features and the Tebbe sounds I can serve up fresh scenarios all the time and it really increases my/my clients’ success rates.

Hope this helps