Gun lights

I'm wanting to hunt coyotes after work this winter. Usually I'm off in time to get a couple hours of light, but I'd like to hunt a little past dark.

I'll be shooting a 22-250 more than likely or grandpa's vintage Sako 222.

So probably will need a scope mounted light then the hardware for that.

So what a good light?

Do I need a filter or will a regular bright light not spook them?

Any tips for night hunting?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is the light I use on all my calling guns:

Nite Hunter

I use the red module most of the time but when I am calling a spot where I can see them coming from 150yds+ I’ll use the green module. The green light lets you see further but it’s harder on coyotes’ eyes and I’ve had them shy away when I lit them up at short range with the green.

My system (and the one my calling team all use) is a scanning light AND a weapon mounted light. Sometimes I’ll scan with one of my NiteHunter lights that I hold in my hand and other times I use a Knoxx headlamp with a red light and a beam that I can focus from tight to wide beam: DAGGER X HEADLAMP - RED HUNTING HEADLAMP - HUNTING HEADLAMP I use that $60 headlamp about 70% of the time and have no trouble picking up eyes out to 200yds. The headlamp keeps my hands free to work my call, hold my weapon and to pop on the weapon light when I find eyes. Once I find eyes, the weapon light goes on and I transition from the headlamp to the weapon light so that I don’t get light ‘splash’ down onto the weapon. This is easiest method when I’m hunting solo. For the Nite Hunter

White light WILL work (heck, I killed incredible numbers of predators with white lights when I was younger and flashlights only came in white! lol!) but it’s much more harsh that red or green and my success rate is way higher with colored light. Try not to put the full beam onto their eyes until you’re going to pull the trigger. The intense light hurts their eyes and they’re blinded by even the halo (outer edges) of your beam. Be gentle on them and they’re more likely to come in closer. Once I find those eyes, keep the center of the beam pointed just above them and NEVER let the light off of them. If you do, they can see and they’re likely to bust ya!

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Embarger

FNG
I've owned and been around a bunch of different ones. In my opinion stick with an LED with rechargable batteries and my preference is red. There are a ton of different lights that fall in that criteria at a range of prices to fit any budget. But you definitely get what you pay for.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
I have the Nite Hunter also but have only used it a few times. Really like how compact it is, very bright, rechargables, works 12V and 110. Hope to use it much more in the coming weeks.