Colorado lions.

warrior

FNG
I'm interested in learning more about tracking lions with dogs. I am seeking insight. How many dogs required, how much do they cost (trained ready to go), other necessary equipment etc........If anyone is willing I'd like to experience it as well. I own pack llamas and a mule. We are bored during the deep winter and thought maybe this would extend our season. Thanks guys!

Probably best to go with someone else initially. Two good dogs will put a cat up, 3-4 is a good number if you aren't training pups. A good started dog will go for 1k, a finished 3-5 year old will go for 3k+. Telemetry collars and GPS collars are almost a necessity, probably 1k easy for that equipment. If you really like it, I'd get with someone that lives and breathes it. Buy a started dog and a pup, and tag along with them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

npm352

WKR
I'm interested in learning more about tracking lions with dogs. I am seeking insight. How many dogs required, how much do they cost (trained ready to go), other necessary equipment etc........If anyone is willing I'd like to experience it as well. I own pack llamas and a mule. We are bored during the deep winter and thought maybe this would extend our season. Thanks guys!
I was where you were 7 years ago. I found a couple dogs, a pup and a started dog, and started going. I made some friends that really helped me learn. If you get into it, think years for dog development, not months like with a bird dog. Seven years later I am 70 lions in...plus bears and some bobcats.

Lions are slow and easy to catch, especially in snow.

Started dogs 1-2k....finished 2-5k. Once you have a finished dog you will understand the pricing. One hound can tree a lion. I give my hounds a chance to solo cats semi-often. This year I treed two very good males with single dogs. I do not recommend running solo on males, but the first one we split up walking and my friend and his dad took one of mine and his pup and I took one of mine. I cut and treed a tom and my buddies dad killed it. I also one go into some cliffs and the dogs split trying to find the out...my 38 pound female put a very old tom up on her own. Propensity for a hurt or killed dog is there, especially with toms. When I have done one dog on purpose, it was always females. I have had 3 dogs for years and have been fine. But the next tom could kill them all. Having more than one is good because if a female is in heat or one gets hurt, you can still go.

Your best bet is to get a pup or started dog and find someone who will let you tag along and turn in. It is a lot of work, so it is good to make sure you like it. Also, be careful buying dogs...not everyone is reputable in the hound world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
i would love to live in a state that i can run big hounds again....alas i am stuck with the midgets.