Calling tactics

Most coyote vocalizations communicate a packs territory, or hunting tactic as they work an area. Location calls indicate a non pack individual or group, and will likely result in any resident coyotes being cautious. Many will disagree, but I stay away from coyote vocalizations, except for the breeding season, going on now. Then I will stick with a howl, later followed by female whimpers, simulating she is being breed.

I'll usually start a set with a lone female howl and silence, followed by more silence or a pup response. Then it's a low volume prey distress (pick one) ramping up and down for a bit. silence, followed by pup distress, or a fight + distress. mating season through denning season I'll rely heavily on vocalizations. Fall and winter I can use prey distress more often. The lone howl at the start can help calm nerves and make the prey distress sound afterwards more enticing. I've been on a pretty good roll so far with just a carver howler and JS double talkin' dawg diaphragm.

OP
A
Called one in tonight on a prey in distress. I could see it with just scope, but buddy swung his rifle light on it and busted us. Tried to coax it back with vocalizations but no dice