Broke the .204 in

MHWASH

WKR
I've been out several times this year, but have failed to bag a coyote other than the one I shot while deer hunting. I missed 2 a couple weeks ago due to not sighting in my rifle after stripping it done to pilot after hunting in the snow/rain. Will never make that mistake again. After couple of unsuccessful calling stands, i spotted this coyote mousing along the river. He was 400 when I first spotted him, but lucky he was working my way. I got settled in and took the shot when he stopped at 200. As expected the 204 Ruger worked great.IMG_1172.jpgIMG_1175.jpgIMG_1173.jpgIMG_1174.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
Congrats on a nice yote.

When I use my 204 I have settled on the 45gr Hornady SP load. I have both my bolt 204 (1 in 10) and AR upper (1 in 9) built with twists to handle the heavier bullets. Both do so very accurately. That bullet isn't the greatest in the wind but has never given me a splash hit like the lighter ones did on a shoulder. I had a 40gr Superformance factory load put a fist size hole in the chest of a 20yd charging coyote one time. The 45gr SP might exit, but it won't be a big exit. It's my hope it won't wreck a cat if the opportunity to take one arises either.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
I used a stock CZ 527, with a Leupy vx3 1.75-6x32. Ammo was factory Superperformance 40gr vmax. There was blood on the exit side, but I couldn't find the exit wound. I cannot remember the last time I used factory ammo, and I'm pretty sure this was the first coyote I've ever shot using factory ammo.

I'm thinking about replacing the scope with something in the 3-10 range, the 6 was fine for 200, but at 400 it'd be nice to have more magnification.

Sodbuster

WKR
Good score.I have a Tikka in .204 with three good loads worked but haven't had time to draw blood with it.
Sweet little round.

mcseal2

WKR
This thread got me thinking of my 204 so I dug it out of the safe. It's a Ruger action with a 23" Pac Nor #3 barrel and Timney 2lb trigger in a Boyd's brown laminate thumbhole stock and a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 with the Varmint Hunter reticle. It's been around a while and isn't as pretty as it used to be, the barrel has been camo taped for a decade or more I think. Lots of time in the feed truck too. Still shoots though.

I bought a 500rd case of the Hornady factory 45gr SP loads it likes when Hornady temporarily discontinued them during the ammo shortage a few years back and then kind of put that rifle back and didn't shoot it much. I had other rifles I was playing with and I didn't want to blow through to much ammo until I could get more. I reload for everything 22-250 and bigger, but have always liked sticking with factory stuff in the 223 and smaller guns that factory ammo is cheaper for. It saves me time if I find a good shooting load and lets me be lazy. Back then I didn't own a chronograph so I had never actually checked the velocity in my rifle.

I just shot 5 across the chronograph that averaged 3429fps from my 23" barrel. The box shows 3625fps but doesn't show the test barrel length. I was pleased that the variation was only 14fps between the 5. Temps are in the mid 20's right now. I adjusted to a 1.5" high zero that should put the wind and drop markings on the reticle real close out to 400yds with the reticle on the faster triangle. That's plenty far for me to try to take predators with the 204 anyway. Wind screws with it to much with that bullet at that speed for me to try for much more.

I love shooting that old rifle, I don't think it's going to get stuck in the back of the safe again at least until spring. Time for it to get some use again. I used to carry it anywhere I thought I might call a bobcat when my options were the 204 or 243 back when I built it. I never shot a cat with it but shot dozens of coyotes. No reason it can't get more now!