Idaho wolf hunting

I’m headed to Idaho after a wolf. If anyone has any local information, send me a PM. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
That is a pretty broad topic there man, no offense is to be made by that. Northwest wolf sightings on facebook is a place you could check out. They typically will give out an area someone sights a pack in. Best of luck!

OP
N
That is a pretty broad topic there man, no offense is to be made by that. Northwest wolf sightings on facebook is a place you could check out. They typically will give out an area someone sights a pack in. Best of luck!

Thank you sir, that is the kind of stuff I’m looking for.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out a wolf sighting page online and the foundation for wildlife management. Good luck👍 And northwest wolf sightings on facebook

OP
N
Check out a wolf sighting page online and the foundation for wildlife management. Good luck And northwest wolf sightings on facebook

Thank you sir. Will do, I appreciate it.

DocD5150

FNG
I’m headed to Idaho after a wolf. If anyone has any local information, send me a PM. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I will tell you the two main spots that are the hottest and they are no secret. Island Park and Leadore. Island Park is mostly flat and fairly easy hiking around. The residents near Last Chance hear them all the time, but they are ELUSIVE. As for Leadore, I hope you're a Mt Goat.

jmcd22

WKR
I'll second that they are elusive. As much time as I have spent in the woods over the last 15 years or so I have only seen two. I know there are far more than F&G wants to admit...but they are tough to find. Thanks for helping our ungulate populations!!!

DocD5150

FNG
I'll second that they are elusive. As much time as I have spent in the woods over the last 15 years or so I have only seen two. I know there are far more than F&G wants to admit...but they are tough to find. Thanks for helping our ungulate populations!!!
I think they are most elusive animal on the planet. I'll be 34 y/o this March. Much of that I have spent in the woods and the mountains. It wasnt even until 4 years ago that I heard my first howl in the wild. Well, here in Idaho that is. Slowly, each year after that up until now, I've been hearing them more and have seen 4 of them running solo (though I'm sure the pack wasnt far off) and I've actually seen one pack of them through a spotting scope chasing a heard of elk 800 yards away. I've come close to getting a shot just ONCE, but the big guy bolted as if knew something was setting up to snipe him. Closer and closer every year. Patience is a virtue. The ones in Island Park actually had us surrounded and from the way they sounded in the dark as we were hiking out, had to have been only 150-200 yards away. It was loud and eery. As a grown a** man and having spent a vast majority of my life hunting, a wolfs howl still sent chills up and down my spine.

jmcd22

WKR
I think they are most elusive animal on the planet. I'll be 34 y/o this March. Much of that I have spent in the woods and the mountains. It wasnt even until 4 years ago that I heard my first howl in the wild. Well, here in Idaho that is. Slowly, each year after that up until now, I've been hearing them more and have seen 4 of them running solo (though I'm sure the pack wasnt far off) and I've actually seen one pack of them through a spotting scope chasing a heard of elk 800 yards away. I've come close to getting a shot just ONCE, but the big guy bolted as if knew something was setting up to snipe him. Closer and closer every year. Patience is a virtue. The ones in Island Park actually had us surrounded and from the way they sounded in the dark as we were hiking out, had to have been only 150-200 yards away. It was loud and eery. As a grown a** man and having spent a vast majority of my life hunting, a wolfs howl still sent chills up and down my spine.

I know what you mean. We have heard them many, many times but we have only seen the two up close. One at 50 yards...sitting and looking at us (before they opened the hunts on them). The other was about 200 yards away trotting across a ridge line. About 10 years ago, my dad drew a late muzzleloader buck tag near Lowman and we were watching a herd of elk down in a meadow and 3 distinct packs started howling back and forth to each other. I kid you not, those elk stopped feeding, looked up to the ridge lines, and bolted for the trees. I have not seen anything like that and still haven't to this day.

This year during archery elk season, we ran into two guys that were surrounded by them and were close enough to get them on their iPhone recorder...just hearing the snarls and aggressive barks being played back from his iPhone sent chills up my spine. I guess the two of them were walking in to a wallow they knew about in the dark and walked right between the pack and a fresh calf kill. Both of them were still shaken up when we saw them a few hours later once the sun came up. I hope to get one someday...