Hunting wild pigs Northern Cali... anyone else?

VO2Max

FNG
Headed to North unit 160 mid March... anyone ever hunt BLM land there? Will be hunting some private land as well but looking for other options. Thanks in advance!

Erik

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Headed to North unit 160 mid March... anyone ever hunt BLM land there? Will be hunting some private land as well but looking for other options. Thanks in advance!

Erik
Crickets on here...

I'm headed to N. CA myself for a few days of pig hunting on 3/14 - 3/16

Let me know how you do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
California doesn't have a unit 160, so maybe that is why there has been no response. As far as punblic land in Northern California goes, Lake Sonoma is about it that has pigs to hunt. Everything else is private property that holds pigs to hunt.

boom

WKR
i skipped this season. i didnt even buy a pig tag.

and i MOVED closer to Lake Sonoma. i am in the same county!! i just hit the ground running with work..i had to impress the new office and boss.

next year, i'll put my my game cameras and go after them again. i was at the Lake yesterday shooting my bow. it is beautiful this time of year. there is only time up to March 25th until you can hunt pigs there.

OP
V

VO2Max

FNG
A(North unit 160) Mendocino County in Boonville and Philo area in the Anderson Valley... the unit # is listed on OnX... that’s my reference.

Found some BLM land not too far from Ukiah... hunting about 500-1000acres of private but trying to expand my options.

JNDEER

WKR
check out our dfg website for pig kill locations by county specifics, that should guide you in deciding if spending some time on blm land near there is worth it or not.

public land pig hunting is very, very hard. However, there ARE pigs on public lands in northern California. Boots on the ground and knowing the type of terrain they like and utilize is the key. dfg has a decent little pig booklet that will guide you in the right direction.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your OnX map is probably referring to Highway 160 as there is no unit named that in CA. There are actually no pig units at all as the pig tag is good state wide. That area you are speaking of is in the A zone and B zones for CA deer.

OP
V

VO2Max

FNG
JNDeer,
Any tips would be appreciated! I’m
No expert on these critters but I look forward to heading down and seeing what we can do. Thanks in advance.

Beendare

WKR
I used to hunt a ranch out of Booneville...but it sold a couple years ago- great ranch.

That area is hit or miss though...areas with no hogs....and other areas with good pockets of them. Glassing from a vantage point works in some spots...but some areas there are thick.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was able to get an arrow through this boar on Wednesday afternoon.

39039575920_bcd3954504_z.jpg

Mike7

WKR
A long while ago when I was in Northern CA for a while, I remember there being pigs near the town of Paskenta in I think it is Tehama County. There was some public land not far from there, but if I remember right the pigs were spending the majority of their time destroying private farm fields, so it was pretty easy to get permission to hunt them.

boom

WKR
A(North unit 160) Mendocino County in Boonville and Philo area in the Anderson Valley... the unit # is listed on OnX... that’s my reference.

Found some BLM land not too far from Ukiah... hunting about 500-1000acres of private but trying to expand my options.

Ukiah? you could go south somewhat and hunt Lake Sonoma. all you need is a pig tag and to pay $30 (or maybe now $35) to the lake charity and hunt away. they are super challenging.

i'll help point you around if i can, but the hog population is nomadic. they never stay put..patterning them is not working for me. it's like trying to pattern a mosquito.